sealing a bath waste

Problem with putting silicone on the underside washer is that it can either expand or slip sideways as you tighten things up and you end up with a serious leak. (Been there, done it :mad: )

Have to say I've never had that happen. The silicon would be around the gap as opposed to the whole of the washer.

to be sure is it possible to use silicone inside bath with no washer as already said ,tighten up with the back washer & screw tight ,then as i am in no hurry after 24 hours unscrew & do the back of bath , would this work or a bad idea

Sponsored Links
As before, plenty of silicone under the drain rose is really all you need, then tighten up and leave it be.
Some silicone on the lower washer does no harm, but I have had the thing squish out too.
John :)

As before, plenty of silicone under the drain rose is really all you need, then tighten up and leave it be.
Some silicone on the lower washer does no harm, but I have had the thing squish out too.
John :)

Yes, I think it might depend on the quality of the washer.

just one more thing. If its a new bath, don't forget to remove the plastic covering before fitting the waste. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Problem with putting silicone on the underside washer is that it can either expand or slip sideways as you tighten things up and you end up with a serious leak. (Been there, done it :mad: )

Have to say I've never had that happen. The silicon would be around the gap as opposed to the whole of the washer.

to be sure is it possible to use silicone inside bath with no washer as already said ,tighten up with the back washer & screw tight ,then as i am in no hurry after 24 hours unscrew & do the back of bath , would this work or a bad idea

Can't see why that wouldn't work if that's the way you want to do it. You are trying to create your own washer with silicon so a smear around the recess is not enough. It needs to fill the void under the rose. If it all goes t*ts up, don't worry, it can be taken apart and re-done even a couple of days after.

hello again , bath arrived today , the waste has 2 seals for the back
first one that should go on is clear 2nd a thicker black 1 ,
should i use the the thin clear one or not

also do i need to put silicone on the overflow ,

I think the clear one is probably for inside the bath (the one I would discard). Some silicon on the overflow is a good idea, particularly where the ribbed flexi pushes on, unless you have one with the o rings inside which tend to be ok.

If you have any more questions, I think a pic would help to see which type you have.

tried to add a photo . but I can't remember how I did it before
went through making up a album ,but didn't know where to go from there
also I see the bath comes with wall fixing brackets ,
I really don't want to use them as I got the bath out without breaking any tiles & and hoping to get it in without losing any ,cant get these tiles now,
and worried if I use the wall brackets I will do some damage , for extra support I was thinking of gluing timber at the wall where I can get access then jam a upright timber support

Yes the black washer goes underneath on the waste body and the clear one is the one you don't need - mastic instead.

hi , thought i would let all know how i got on ,well there good news & there is bad news ,good news when bath is full of water no leaks surely that means that the seal is good , bad news when i drain the water there is a very slight leak coming from the part of the unit where the cable for the plug control is situated run my hands above the leak to try to see where it's coming from hands are dry

hi , thought i would let all know how i got on ,well there good news & there is bad news ,good news when bath is full of water no leaks surely that means that the seal is good , bad news when i drain the water there is a very slight leak coming from the part of the unit where the cable for the plug control is situated run my hands above the leak to try to see where it's coming from hands are dry

Sorry crooner but I can't really say what that is unless there is a crack or something??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back