Sealing compound for threaded connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll soon be replumbing a basin with new taps and connectors . When connecting a new brass (15mm by 1/2") MI coupler to an existing iron water pipe , what sealing compound would you advise ?

Please bear in mind that the threads in the iron socket are not brand new - they will have the remains of the ancient sealing compound ( hemp and Boss White perhaps ) in them , although I'll remove as much of it as I can .

Screwfix offer me Loctite 55 Pipe Seal Cord , Liquid PTFE in gel form , Pipe Sealant aka Pipe Thread Seal , Loctite Pipe Sealant , Loctite Thread Sealant Stick , Hawk White jointing compound , Water Hawk jointing compound and good old PTFE tape . Any comments please ?

And if whatever I choose doesn't work perfectly , is it too much of a bodge to wipe a bit of Fernox LS-X around the outside of the joint afterwards ?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if this is the right way but

I've had the same issues with my own DIY plumbing. I have used LS-X on the threads as sealer and have not had a single leak from a copper to iron fitting yet

Warm the socket to soften the goo and clean with a wire pipe cleaing brush - or your wife's toothbrush, at a pinch.
Tape should be fine, but if you're worried there's no law against putting a little Ls-x in there as well.

Thanks for both replies - reassuring and helpful .
I wonder why so many different compounds are available , though . There must be demand for them - so what advantages do they offer ?

Sponsored Links
in a nutshell ;) ........old ways/ new ways .............wholesome water/non wholesome water in the pipes

On subject of sealants has anybody heard of Chesterton Gold End paste as i would dearly like to get hold of some , its usually in 250 gram tubes or could be mililitre tubes . cheers mark

Nearest I`ve used was Dinger Bell-end paste.........used it while welding :eek:

Nige F said:
Nearest I`ve used was Dinger Bell-end paste.........used it while welding :eek:

Where can i get some bell end paste? Toothpaste is to gritty and stings.

toothpaste is for Mast....ICATION.......RU Dylsexic :eek: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back