Sealing porous external stone steps above a cellar room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have some stone steps leading to my front door. Beneath these steps (in the cellar) is what used to be the coal house. It has been converted into my bathroom. It suffers with damp and I think some of this is penetrating through the stone steps. I have had the gaps sealed, but want to put an additional sealant over the whole steps and the joins between them.
All sealants I can see are more concentrated on preserving the steps, letting them breathe, etc. Can any one advise which is best for preventing water penetration?
Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi Sharon and welcome.
First thing, you're in the wrong place, you probably need to be in General DIY. I'll ask the mods to move it for you.

Secondly, be careful of any sealer you use on the steps. It might make them lethal and slippery in the wet/ice. Take advice form the pro's but I suspect that it's not a simple answer without inspection.

The constitution will also be relevant as to what, if any, sealant you can apply.

Are they concrete, granite (unlikey), sandstone, (if Victorian type house then quite possibly), or some sort of 'natural' rock that has been cut to shape?

If you decide to call a builder in for advice get at least 3 reports so you know if you are getting any conflicting advice. Also, as always, photographs on here can help a great deal.

The room should have been tanked before conversion, anything at this stage will have little chance of success.

Sponsored Links
I agree with foxhole.
Stone is porous and sealer would not be able to hold back damp. Movement in the joints through thermal expansion will always let in a certain amount of damp.

The ceiling inside under the steps will need to be tanked and probably any side walls adjoining the steps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back