Sealing UPVC casement Window Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New upvc window in wooden frame. My question is should i silicon along the bottom outside face or should i leave this unsealed to allow for drainage from inside the window to exit (although i dont see anywhere the water can actually exit the window frame). I dont want to seal the water in.

Sponsored Links
A pvc frame in timber :eek:

I think i know what you mean but a picture would be good but generally if you have concealled drainage then do not silicone anything up with first making sure you won't seal water in, if you have face drain then you should see 2 drainage caps on the face of the window and this should be ok to seal but please post pictures

A pvc frame in timber :eek:

I think i know what you mean but a picture would be good but generally if you have concealled drainage then do not silicone anything up with first making sure you won't seal water in, if you have face drain then you should see 2 drainage caps on the face of the window and this should be ok to seal but please post pictures

Concealed drainage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
How does concealed drainage work , i didnt see any drainage holes in the frame of the window ?

Concealed drainage works by drilling a slot through the pvc section, when water builds up under the dgu's it will run to these slots, through an enclosed chamber within the pvc profile and out over the cill, do not seal the window across the bottom, this will block any drainage you have and to be honest it doesn't look like you have a gap between the window and the grey timber surround, i'd be a little concerned now.

Have a look here,

http://www.gjbdevelopments.co.uk/products.asp

its the best picture i can find, scroll down to tilt and turn, ignore the extra sections other than the cill and bottom window section, note the over hang of the window onto the cill, this is the gap you need, now imagine a slot drilled upwards through all 3 layers and the top one is drilled sideways and hidden once the glass is fitted

Sponsored Links
Concealed drainage works by drilling a slot through the pvc section, when water builds up under the dgu's it will run to these slots, through an enclosed chamber within the pvc profile and out over the cill, do not seal the window across the bottom, this will block any drainage you have and to be honest it doesn't look like you have a gap between the window and the grey timber surround, i'd be a little concerned now.

Have a look here,

http://www.gjbdevelopments.co.uk/products.asp

its the best picture i can find, scroll down to tilt and turn, ignore the extra sections other than the cill and bottom window section, note the over hang of the window onto the cill, this is the gap you need, now imagine a slot drilled upwards through all 3 layers and the top one is drilled sideways and hidden once the glass is fitted
Thanks for the info.
Do you know if the holes for concealed drainage are drilled at factory or do i have to drill them. I can the manafacturer to clarify this.
There is a very small gap under the leading edge of the window , enough to pass a piece of paper from one end to the other.
Worst case scenario i could drill my own drainage holes , i could even remove the windows/frame as i havnt put any sealant round it yet.
With hindsight i should have got face draining.

Slots are drilled at the factory during manufacture, you'll need to remove the glass to see if they are there, don't know if you fitted the window but if you know how take the glass out and check the drainage is there, check with a cup of water to see if they drain under the window

Slots are drilled at the factory during manufacture, you'll need to remove the glass to see if they are there, don't know if you fitted the window but if you know how take the glass out and check the drainage is there, check with a cup of water to see if they drain under the window
Yes i fitted the window myself and removed it because i wasnt happy with the initial upvc sill and then refitted it with a wooden frame. I may remove it again as you advise to double check the drainage and also increase the camber of the concealed part of the sill. The visible part of the sill has a 12% camber but the concealed part of the sill only has a outward slope of a few degrees.
This would also enable me to paint the complete frame properly which as water will be exiting from inside is more necessary than i realised.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back