Second opinion: are my roofers doing a good job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an overhaul of my ground floor flat. The builders I am using came via recommendation, although despite this they have done one or two things, which I haven't been happy with (fixed however once I pointed out, but had I not noticed it would have been swept under carpet).

Anyway. Back addition consists of a flat warm structure deck and pitched sides.

Warm deck structure (top down):
  • GRP fibrgelass (think TuffSTuff / CureIt)
  • 18mm OSB3 T&G board
  • 100mm Celotex insulation
  • Vapour control layer
  • 18mm OSB3 T&G board screwed into rafters
  • Vapour resistant ceiling plasterboard
Pitched sides structure (top down):
  • Fibre cement slate
  • Horizontal batten
  • Counterbatten
  • Breathable membrane (Tyvek Supro)
  • 120mm Celotex in between rafters
  • Vapour control layer
  • Vapour resistant ceiling plasterboard
Images give an idea of construction / scale.

Now. I checked up on site today and noticed following - no idea if it its right or not?

1. Orange vapour control layer was laid onto 18mm OSB3. Celotex was added on top and then another layer of OSB3 on top of Celotex. Fine, but instead of using helical fixings to secure Celotex to 1st layer of OSB3, they used 150mm screws to drive through OSB3, Celotex, Vapour Control Layer, OSB3 attached to flat roof joists in one go. Fine I'm guessing as, after all, there are many ways to skin a cat?

2. The orange Vapour Control Layer will be cut horizontally, what you see in the pics is the excess flapping about. Once cut, shall we seal it with aluminium tape to OSB3 / Celotex?

3. What sort of expansion gap is necessary when butting up the OSB3 against the building? 3 to 5mm sufficient?

4. I have acquired some fibre cement slate, 600mm x 300mm. Guy doing tiling says that he needs 600mm x 600mm as well, for the starter course and can't begin without those. I thought starter course was simply 1 + 0.5 slates or is that wrong?

Any comments welcome!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 313
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back