Secondary Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.
I have an old draughty cottage and I have recently installed acrylic secondary glazing and the difference it has made is fantastic. It has made the place a whole lot warmer and reduced the noise considerably . I have done a small three bedroom cottage for about £350.00 and I`m chuffed to bits with it.

The original frames are wooden which have two sides to them. the opening side and the fixed side and I have put separate panels on each half over the whole frame so that in the warmer month I need only take off the side which I want to open. On windows that I want to open throughout the year, like the kitchen and bathroom, I have put the acrylic on the outside just over the opening part of the window.

The problem I have is that it is creating terrible condensation in the cavity. I have learnt from the net that it is best to remove any draught proofing to the opening windows as this should provide sufficient ventilation from the badly fitting window to solve the problem, I have removed the old insulating foam strips that were in place and it has worked. But what do I do about the side of the window that does not open and therefore does not have sufficient draught to clear the window?. I have seen some posts online from people who suggest drilling vent holes in the frame and im sure this will work as I discovered a disused cable that had been passed through a drill hole in the corner of one of the frames, I removed it revealing about a 6mm hole and that is enough to clear that particular window so both of these solutions have convinced me that venting to the outside does work in this situation. There is not sufficient space on the frame to fit a trickle vent so I am wanting to drill a hole in all of the fixed parts of the window frames but i am concerned that wet will get into the hole from the outside and cause the frames to rot.. Does anybody have any suggestion as to how i can protect this little hole from the wet or do you have and better suggestions how to stop the condensation.
So sorry if this has been a bit of waffle but its hard for me to explain.. Oh.. and I have only basic Girly DIY Skills - Many Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
You could always angle the hole downwards from inside to outside which will at least prevent water ingress.

Thanks so much for your reply - I did wonder about that... Do you think it will work sufficiently?

Well you say it worked on the one you already had with a hole in it. If you are concerned about rot you could always get a small amount of an oil finish (e.g. Danish oil, teak oil, etc) and dribble that through the hole you've made to give it some extra protection

Sponsored Links
yes it works fine on the window with the cable hole in it - what I should have said was do you think a slanted hole in the frame it will work sufficiently to keep the wet out ? Sorry for not making my self clear. I will certainly use the Danish oil - I hadnt thought of that - Thank you so very much for your advice.

yes it works fine on the window with the cable hole in it - what I should have said was do you think a slanted hole in the frame it will work sufficiently to keep the wet out ?
Probably. It sort of depends on the prevaling weather, location, etc. If it doesn't then the hole can always be permanently (and rot-free) sealed with 2-pack car body filler. Use that stuff on sliding sash window rapairs quite a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back