Secondary Pump not pumping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I recently posted a question about controlling the bronze pump on my hot water system.

After taking some advice, I purchased a single channel honeywell timer, which I have programmed to work alongside my main DHW / CH controller.

The problem I have is that although the timer is switching the pump off and off ok, I'm not getting hot water at the taps.

I have set the bronze pump to run for about 1 hour in the morning and evening and to come on about half an hour after the boiler has started.

Am I not allowing enough time for the pump to push hot water around the system, or could something else be causing the problem?

I have drained down the system a couple of times to remove sinks etc and as yet, haven't finished plumbing in new facilities. I wonder whether I may have a major air lock somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
The pump should pump towards the cylinder with a check valve, what kind of cylinder do you have and where is the secondary connection on the cylinder?

Hey Picasso

I've not touched the pump itself; just added a new digital timer to replace the manual one which was previously there.

When we moved in, the secondary pump was running continuously but I was running out of hot water very quickly and figured it was pretty inefficient.

My cylinder is just a standard one with a coil within to heat the water. Not sure what a check valve should look like, or whether the pump is towards the cylinder or not?

Steve

When you took off the sink ect you may have inadvertantly stopped the circuit for the secondary hot water, the pump would overcome any airlock in the pipes.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure I haven't touched any of the loops for the return circuits but I will have another look.

I guess it might be another job for an expert if I can't work it out.

As a matter of interest, how quickly should the secondary pump get hot water round the system.

Every sink has flow and return and there are 7 sinks.

Am I asking a bit much in an hour of pumping?

Steve

When you say your cylinder is just an ordinary one , is it an unvented cylinder (your hot water under mains pressure) ?

Is your pump actually pumping? They can airlock very easily especially if they are pumping downwards - a common mistake.

Access to the pump is not great - it's in a restricted loft space behind the cylinder

So, I'm not absolutely sure that it is pumping - would certainly account for it not seeming to work.

It's whirring though

Can I bleed it by using the main screw on the front of it?

Now then, Mr 'Erriott,

You can try venting it. If it is noisy, it may well be airlocked, or blocked with scale or other debris.

Thanks Mysteryman

The pump is able to be isolated from the system by a gate valve either side of it.

To vent it, should I be just using the bleed screw, or would I be better to islolate it, remove it and give it a flush through?

Cheers

Steve

Bleed screw first. Pump gate valves are notorious for not shutting off completely. You may find also that the pump union nuts are very tight to remove - usually because some plonker has put Boss-White all over the threads even though they are a face seal. If you are confident that the gate valves are tight shut, you MAY be able to remove the pump motor and impellor from the volute - this is not for the faint-hearted though. None of it is!

Quick update
Bled the secondary pump yesterday - it's a complete bitch to access but there was certainly a lot of air coming out.

And now the circulation appears to be working fine.

Thanks for all the help

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back