Securing skirting boards without removing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks.

We recently had a new carpet laid. When the carpet was tamped under the skirting boards to grip the gripper strips. The skirting pivoted. The top pulled away and the bottom pushed under the plaster board with the force of securing the carpet. I could be knocked back to its correct position but all the filler paint that was filling the top gap to the wall is a real mess.

It turns out the skirting king is secured with large nails approx every 2 metres. I want th secure the skirting more secuurely without removing it.

Any ideas ??

Sponsored Links
why don't you want to remove it?

if it is a brick wall, you can drill through the board and into the wall and use frame fixings. You need to press the board tight to the wall first. The nails will make it difficult to get it straight.

You mention plasterboard. It doesn't make sense to use 6 inch nails into plasterboard or the light wooden studding that may be supporting it.

You need to fix into a part of the wall that has no concealed pipes or cables.

Probably not the answer you want, but I doubt you will be able to get all the caulking off of skirtings unless you take them off.
Are your walls Dot and Dab onto blockwork/brickwork, or stud walls or timber framed building??
You may find they are fixed with grip fill then nailed just to hold them whilst it dries. Or they could be screwed badly, in any case if you want a good finish pull em off clean em up and screw back on, there may be pipes or cable runs but this would be unusual on the skirting board line.

I don't want to take them of as they look fine, but in rooms yet to decorated I don't want this problem again. look a lot of work to remove them and re fix.

The walls are a mixture of stud walls and dot and dab. Stud internal but not that many as there's strucktural walls.

Frame fixings sound a possibility, or possibly I was considering masonry screws. Stud walls have to hit the wood.

Bit peed of with lazy builders who built the house. Barratt built

Sponsored Links
You could fill the gaps after cleaning with CT1. its both glue and filler, you could brace the top back to the wall while the CT1 goes off using short scraps of timber temporary pinned thru the carpet into the floor boards [ won't harm the new carpet].When set remove the nails holding the bracing.If you have hard floors then buckets of water are usually heavy enough to brace the timber off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back