Securing toilet to the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a toilet pan that needs fixing properly to the floor, at the moment one of the screws just spins. The floor is tiled with chipboard under that. Obviously the hole is a bit big, any ideas for filling it a bit so the screw will bite. A bigger screw is a possibility but it might not fit through the hole in the pan, likewise if I tried any kind of rawlplug. Maybe some wood ie matches but they might just fall through before I can get the screw in.
Anyway, enough of my ideas...over to you all.

Thanks

MrMunnings

Sponsored Links
Thanks EFLimpudence
With it in place, I don't really want to remove it if I can avoid it.

Oh, difficult then.

If you think the screwhole is just too big now (rather than the floor (tile) has broken), can you get a larger wall-plug just on the end of a longer screw and tap it in.

Anyway, if you can't do it, silicone sealant around the pan (plus the three screws) will hold it surprisingly well.
Depending on the colour of the tiles, I have used gripfill in the past.

Sponsored Links
OK, so first hunt around for a screw which is bigger in diameter but will still pass through the ceramic pan (Brass or stainless is obviously best). It could be longer if necessary.
Hopefully that will sort you but if not, the plug idea is the way to go.
John :)

Or perhaps some epoxy resin poured down the hole? Perhaps leave it until it's going less runny. (Araldite is one of my favourites!)

Stixall... You name it, it sticks it. Got me out of trouble several times

Have used this stuff before for plugging holes in door frames where the hinge screws have enlarged the holes. Worked surprisingly well.

If not, the silicon idea will work.

Waste of time , the floor underneath is probably shot, just seal around base with something like CT1 . It will seal and glue pan to floor.

Sponsored Links
Back