Securing wooden floor to concrete screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am part way through converting the back half of a double length garage into a utility space. With building regs consent the chipboard flooring panels are 'floating' on 50mm of insulation board. I have deliberately left the next stage for a couple of weeks so that the floor can settle as the screed underneath was uneven.

The flooring was installed to planning permission requirements over a decade ago so I am assuming there is a DPC underneath the screed. The garage is exaclty the width of one length of chipboard.

The problem I was expecting has materialised, namely the floor has not completely settled and the washing machine and floor, although levelled, moves more than I'm happy with.

I believe I need to make the floor more rigid so I have thought of two solutions.

Bring up the (not yet glued) chipboard and lay two 50mm joists to anchor the panels together and screw the boards to the joists.

Secured the floor to the screed underneath with rawl plugs risking penetrating the DPC.

Am I right to be worried about breaking the DPC with screws or will the screws themselves seal any leak in the DPC?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back