Security light strangely wired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The security light fitted to our house hasn't worked since we moved in last year.

The light is fitted to the rear wall and the wiring comes into the boiler/airing cupboard.

IMG_1615.JPG

As you can see, the wiring comes into some sort of junction box with a wire going into the loft, and a wire going down beneath the floorboards.

Can anyone make any sense of it?

Not pictured* is a 240V feed going to a shaver socket via a fused switch. None of us use it and I'm not a fan of having a shaver socket next to the sink so I was hoping to disconnect it and wire in the security light directly.

* you can see the live feed grey wire at the top of the photo

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that cabling actually feeds the light? A system of controls might be wired in alarm cable but a light fed like that would be rather low powered. what light is it?

Actually that makes sense. There's a defunct alarm box outside above the security light so it probably feeds that. I did think the wiring looked too thin to supply 240v

If that's mains - in my opinion it is F*cking dangerous.

If you know SweetFA about electrics get a pro PDQ!

Sponsored Links
@wgt52 believe me that's something I've got on the books. There are DIY jobs that have been done around the place that look worse than if I'd attempted it. I plan to get a full electrical inspection of things. Just trying to get the security light working for the time being

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back