security lights/PIR sensor/wiring installation,HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,help needed please..
i want to install 2 x security lights with PIR sensor..wiring to be taken from kitchen twin socket with control switch on a 5 amp fused spur, then to a PIR sensor controlling 2 lights(1 x 150 watt,1 x 300 watt).
i am planning to postion the fused switch spur adjacent to the existing double socket and then route the supply for the PIR sensor directly through the back of the fused switch to the outside of the house.

what i need to know is:

1. is this prospective installation okay?

2. how do i stand regs building regulations?.ie. is it neccessary to get a qulaified electrician to certify the work?

3. are there are regulations on the height of which cables supplying power to the sensor/lights come through onto exterior walls?

..i'll be very grateful for any helpful comments and/or advice on my subject..kindest regards,gavin

Sponsored Links
Right, this stuff is part p notifiable, so you need to either:

1. get a spark to do the whole lot, test and cert

2. do it yourself after notifying building control who will inspect and cert.

3. A bit shady, but some sparks will test and cert other people's work, but they aren't supposed to. Get him to agree before you begin.

As for the technical bits, Twin and earth is not built to live outside, so you need to pretect it somehow. easiest way is by using PVC conduit between conduit boxes. Where a light/sensor is positioned, use a flex outlet on a conduit box and run a short bit of flex to the light/sensor.

Cables buried in plaster must follow the line of accessories fitted to the wall - stright across and straight up/down.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Pvc_Index/Conduit_Pvc_1/index.html conduit boxes
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Pvc_Index/20mm_Conduit_and_Fittings_White/index.html conduit and accessories
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Gland_Compression_Nylon_2/index.html flex glands

Everything you propose sounds ok though. Just make sure you stick to the legalities! ;)

thanks for that..so,what about wiring direct from the lighting circuit?..the only problem i have with that is the control switch..ie. having to run cable from the attic all way down to where i need the switch located in the kitchen.this would involve channelling into the walls etc? which is what i do not want to be doing.
basically i need the easiest route with least external cabling..has anyone got any tips/ideas for routing and installations?..sorry if i sound ignorant..i am!..would just appreciate any professional advice you experts can offer?..thanks in advance of any replies...gavin

Sponsored Links
You said you were going to wire it off the ring main in the kitchen!

This is by far the best way to do it - the lighting circuit is restricted to 6Amps in most cases, and with halogen lights and other new lighting methods, they are often stretched a bit, so staring a new 5A spur off the ring main is a better idea (450w is about 3/8 of the total load possible on a 6A circuit).

Take a spur from a socket you know to be on the ring, and run this to a switched FCU with a 5A fuse, then run the 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² cable outside into the conduit.

By the way, that PVC conduit is available in black too, its not so obvious on a brick wall then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back