Security Screw Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am renovating our old 1930's windows, which are in good overall condition.

I am trying to remove the fixtures from the windows, stays, handles etc which have been painted white gloss all over. And some damn fool over the years has used these tamper proof / security screws all over the place. I have ordered a security screw bit set which has helped remove some of them, but the butterfly bit I am using is not really doing the job.

The reason I am trying to remove all of the fixings, is to give them all to a local firm to get them all powder coated black.

Hopefully there is a link to a picture below showing the screw head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24032797@N03/2283065457/

(I would have pasted the image into my post - but could not find any way of doing it)

Can anyone help ?

I am also not sure if I have posted this in the right section, so MODS please move if not appropriate here.

cheers
Aaron

Sponsored Links
The picture shows a clutch head screw, designed to be screwed in with a flat-bladed screwdriver, and to be next-to impossible to remove. Unfortunately none of your security bits will help.

The one you've pictured has plenty of shank showing which should allow you to unscrew it using locking pliers (such as a Mole wrench).

Trend make a handy screw remover (here) which is good for removing damaged screws but I don't think will help you here.

I think your best approach is to: centre punch the screw heads where you can't get a wrench on; drill out the head; either remove the shank or reposition the fitting to hide it.

Or you could try getting a hacksaw blade behind the fitting. Or else renovate the fittings in situ.

Sounds like it'll be worth the effort, though; all the best.

assuming this is a steel screw in a wooden frame, you can loosen the screw by touching it with a hot iron or very fine torch flame.

This will char the wood where it is on contact with the screw so it will come out easily. You will have to drill the hole out and plug it with a bit of close-fitting dowel, glued in, to make a nice repair.

A left-handed drill will often remove screws with damaged heads (true!)

take your cordless drill select slow speed
open chuck untill the screw head fits' screw chuck tightly around the head making shure its central and in line
slowly remove screw ;)

Sponsored Links
Tightening your drill chuck around the screw is a good tip, i've done this a fair few times.

Also, i've used my multimaster to cut a slot in the screw head and then remove with a flat blade screwdriver

Fixtures of the window, not the window...

They are one of the best security screws, hard work to get out.
Centre punch, smack in the middle, then drill the head off. Pull the handle/stay off. Then a good locking plier to remove the rest.

So where is the OP?
a bit rude to post...get a load of answers and never return IMO :rolleyes:

Hi chaps

Apologies for not replying back sooner.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately the remaining screws are proving a nightmare to remove carefully, without destroying the fixtures.

In most cases the screws are recessed inside the fixtures, so tightening your drill chuck around the screw is not possible. Tried the hot iron approach and that did not work either.

Looks like punching & drilling them out is the only way to go. First one did not work - I am assuming that the screw heads are hardened / treated - to make drilling out a difficult / impossible task ?

I will preserve, there has to be a foolproof way to remove them, without the use of a drill / grinder.

cheers
Aaron

If they are hardened, then you will need to heat them up to a cherry red colour, using a fine blowtorch.
Arrange to drill the head IMMEDIATELY you remove the heat source.

Wear protective glasses and gloves, watch where the hot swarf goes..... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back