Self Adhesive wallpaper border

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any tips on putting one of these up, or a link to a guide.

Am doing one for our nursery over the weekend and I'm a bit worried about getting it to go on level and without any creases or air bubbles. I've never wallpapered in my life either so have never done anything like this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Worst stuff you can apply.
I would start from right to left, with border folded in a concertina fashion in left hand, applying over a previously marked level line, just going over it to hide it.

But................. think again...borders are out/out/out and when you decide to take it off, half the paint will come off with it, or worse still...the plaster. :cry: Terrible things.

Do yourself a favour................Lose the border, the child will never notice it anyway ;)

Growler said:
Worst stuff you can apply.
I would start from right to left, with border folded in a concertina fashion in left hand, applying over a previously marked level line, just going over it to hide it.

But................. think again...borders are out/out/out and when you decide to take it off, half the paint will come off with it, or worse still...the plaster. :cry: Terrible things.

Do yourself a favour................Lose the border, the child will never notice it anyway ;)

Not every1s cup o tea but as kevin says hes never put any w/paper up so good luck to him.Its still an easy way for someone with limited decorating experience to add a bit of colour/character to a room quickly.
Should be simple to put up anyways.I wouldnt spend too much time getting it matching after you cut it in the corners kevin.Just make sure its level and your corners are cut neatly and it should look ok.
Mark round the room your desired height with a pencil and then get all your lengths cut with a few extra cms added on ready to put up.

Course takin it back off is another story.Personally.....Id move house rather than rip it off myself:cool:

Thanks. I understand what you are saying and have passed your concerns on the the missus. Needless to say we are still going ahead with it :)

We'll probably always wallpaper that room anyway I suppose so can hopefully hide any mess we make taking it off.

Going back to how to do it, is it possible to bend a full roll around the corners of the wall rather than cut each length for each wall? If not what should you cut with - scissors away from the wall or a knife whilst it is against the wall? Hope that makes sense.

Cheers for your help

Sponsored Links
Cut it into the corners

When you cut off a suitable length peel off the backing and leave it for five minute to shrink a little..if you put it on too quick it will shrink when its in position possibly causing any joint you have in it to show later

The stuff is pure evil on a roll..the biggest problem being when you remove it..it normally takes all the paint or even plaster beneath it off too

Hate the stuff with a passion :evil:

Instead of doing away with the oilbase paint, they should do away with these self adhesive borders. :evil:
I find the best way to put these borders in place is to have an extra pair of hands.
One holds the border away from the wall, whilst you, who has pulled the short straw lol tries to get it smooth.
if you dont get it straight and try and take it off to start again, thats when you lose the will to live.

Cause by removing it and trying to get it back on again, you can cause some slight damage to your already freshly painted walls, its a nightmare.

I am going to stick my neck out here, and I have done this, only cause I was on my own trying to put this border up, and it just wasnt going where I wanted it too, and I was up against it time wise.

I ended up, pasting the darn thing instead, and also added a bit of PVA in with the paste. <spice holds her head in shame>

But I was desperate and making a pigs ear of it, cause the more it was not going right, the more I was getting annoyed.

So I did the unthinkable, but fortunately it worked a treat.

Since that time, many moons ago, I have always refused to put the self adhesive borders up.

Apparently theres a low tack one around now and it doesnt stick like '**** to a blanket' for 24 hours or so.

Still..id have to say...

Nicht buy it!

i have done this before and it came out perfect,what i did was i measured where i wanted to put the border say 3 foot from the floor i measured it from wall to wall with a pencil mark say every 6 ft then i got an 8th foot length of 2x1 wood and marked the whole room i started with the roll and went along the pencil line bit by bit and brushed downwards on it i did not cut at the corners just went around them till the roll was finished

spice said:
Instead of doing away with the oilbase paint, they should do away with these self adhesive borders. :evil:
I find the best way to put these borders in place is to have an extra pair of hands.
One holds the border away from the wall, whilst you, who has pulled the short straw lol tries to get it smooth.
if you dont get it straight and try and take it off to start again, thats when you lose the will to live.

Cause by removing it and trying to get it back on again, you can cause some slight damage to your already freshly painted walls, its a nightmare.

I am going to stick my neck out here, and I have done this, only cause I was on my own trying to put this border up, and it just wasnt going where I wanted it too, and I was up against it time wise.

I ended up, pasting the darn thing instead, and also added a bit of PVA in with the paste. <spice holds her head in shame>

But I was desperate and making a pigs ear of it, cause the more it was not going right, the more I was getting annoyed.

So I did the unthinkable, but fortunately it worked a treat.

Since that time, many moons ago, I have always refused to put the self adhesive borders up.
im very grateful for this post spice as i mentioned in my post i have done it before and just realised now that i used low tack border , i have just finished painting a room and the missus got this border and i had just started when it started to go wrong it was a night mare then i remembered this post and i headed for the d i y shop and got some paste and pva and did what you did and it was a piece of cake i dont know why they make that adhesive border as id say professional painters would have a job putting it on ,so thanks again spice you saved the day

Awww thankyou hawthorns :oops: I am glad it worked it for you, I know its not the done thing, but when all else fails, we have to resort to drastic measures lol.

I hope your not intending to take it off for at least 5 years, or will you move first ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back