Self Build Garage Build over Storm Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

After a number of weeks of anonymous forum viewing I've decided to take the plunge and try and ask a question of my own.

I'm currently attempting to gain permission for a self build 35m squared timber frame garage on in my back garden. We currently have a area of parking space on gravel at the back of our house which I want to turn into a garage. The area at the moment is well compacted due to the amount of vehicle traffic.

I originally approached Wessex Water with a build over request with the aim being to build a reinforced 6" concrete raft on 4" of granular bedding over a 225mm storm drain that is approx 1.6m below ground level. Wessex Water approved the request and design and told us basically to crack on and let them know when we're finished. They CCTV'd the pipe and found it in pretty good condition, there was only one circumferential crack in a single section approx 10mm from the end ('m not even actually sure that within my boundary.

Unfortunately, a bit further on my structural engineer now has expressed concerns that the sewer may collapse during compaction of the bedding with a wacker plate. The load of the building isn't a problem as it's distributed over such a large area and it's relatively light weight. The subgrade below is stiff clay if anyone's interested.

I suppose gucci option would be to dig down to the sewer and encase in shingle and place a pre-stressed lintel above thus removing any possibility of fracture during build but is this overkill?

I'm not particularly concerned about the building load later on. The raft will effectively distribute the load over a large area and the ground has been subject to traffic loads for at least 10 years with vehicles driving over it with no issue.

Can anyone offer any advice on the best solution? I need to talk to my BCO to get their opinion but additional input would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
This is overkill and the SE is just covering his back. At that depth, and if there has been plenty of parking on it already, and if you are using a r.c. raft, it's highly unlikely there would ever be an issue with the pipe. The additional pressure on the ground would be very low. Possibly no need to use a whacker at all, if the ground is firm once excavated.

BTW, use a private inspector rather than the council.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back