Self employed - How many productive hours do you work a day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work for myself in a labour intensive business and my actual productive hours worked per day can be surprisingly low.

Quoting, paperwork, speaking on the phone and chatting don't earn me money (although in theory this downtime is factored into my hourly rate!)

So, how many productive hours a day on the tools do you reckon you work?

Honest answers please :D

Sponsored Links
Less fags, coffee, sarnies, chatting with customer, ogling nice blonde bit of stuff who was cutting her front lawn today, unloading gear, walking backwards and forwards to the van, packing up gear and tidying up, I reckon about 37 minutes.

can vary but im usually at a job by 8 at the latest and work through to about 3.30, without stopping for lunch etc. Some of that time will also be spent making calls to customers suppliers etc. After that its home to take a quick look at e-mails,post and calls then usually back out of the door for 1-2 quotes. Then come about 7 in the evening its sit down in the office and do written quotes, planning jobs etc. usually stop about 9-9.30, but all depends on what needs doing

Still better than working for someone else though!

matz said:
I work for myself in a labour intensive business and my actual productive hours worked per day can be surprisingly low.

Quoting, paperwork, speaking on the phone and chatting don't earn me money (although in theory this downtime is factored into my hourly rate!)

So, how many productive hours a day on the tools do you reckon you work?

Honest answers please :D

depending on what you do, i am in the same boat i sit at home and i have two love birds running around for me but i have to genarate the work and i also go on jobs myself if need be, but like you said phone calls, this and that, i always make sure i can undercut a large rip off firm and i seem to get the contracts no problem.

Sponsored Links
solo said:
Less fags, coffee, sarnies, chatting with customer, ogling nice blonde bit of stuff who was cutting her front lawn today, unloading gear, walking backwards and forwards to the van, packing up gear and tidying up, I reckon about 37 minutes.

You forgot peeing in the sink and sucking air through your teeth...

Per week I get paid for about 35 hours work, but yeah there is lots of unpaid hours too, I reckon about 10.

notb665 said:
Per week I get paid for about 35 hours work, but yeah there is lots of unpaid hours too, I reckon about 10.

Nearly a quarter of your working week is un-paided :eek: ,bet your employers love you

to through a 'spanner' in:
what if your 'tools' are marketing/admin/sales-rep?
Don't think my hubby would like this topic: all my hours would be called 'unproductive' but that is not correct also, is it?
(or do I just count the time spend on General Chat as unproductive ;))

To All S/Employ Here ....
I really applaud you hugely been there done it an made it ...Pheeeeew ..lol

you are working constantly , even asleep sometimes , whereas the 9/5 johnies can baitch an moan at quotes etc , they dont see the half of running a biz :)
big round of applause here from me ...

WoodYouLike
maybe we could figure out a way your hubby doesnt hear about your bad ways ,

like the Secretary film maybe ;) ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274812/

Sponsored Links
Back