Selling a house without 'relevant' certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've just put our house on the market and I've been thinking about what certificates I'm required - or likely to be asked for - buy a prospective buyer.

We bought the house in January 2006. When we bought it there were no boiler, electrics or Fensa certificates...in fact I dont even think we asked to see them as were first time buyers and didn't know any different.

The house already had a modern floor mounted boiler in the kitchen - installation date unknown - but with no installations certificates. Never had any problems with it. Since we've moved in I've replaced loats of the heating pipework from microbore to 22/15mm and replaced all radiators (C Plan system, pumpped heating, gravity hot water) but not touched anything near the boiler.

I've done lots of redecorating which has involved moving sockets and installing new ones onto the ring main. Same situation with the lighting. All like for like, properly earthed etc, new coloured grey cable and so on. However, some older white cable still left in house.

Double glazing already fitted, date unknown. We also had a new conservatory buuilt about 3 years ago with Pilkingon K glass and matching glass roof. However, after it was completed and we were chasing for the paperwork - warranty, Fensa certs and so on the guy's company folded and so we never recieved anything. Paid cash too.

Now I'm not sure what i'll need to provide certificates for and what isn't necessary. I've been reading about imdemnity insurance that the prospective buyers could take out to cover themselves, and I'm not worried about covering the cost of this if necessary. Do you think this will prevent me selling the house or will I be ok..?

Thanks in advance, Phil

MODS: Please fell free to move if necessary, wasn't sure where else this should go...

Sponsored Links
You will need a EPC (energy performance cert)
Also when you had your extension built building controls should have been involved and certs issued.
If you have been messing with the electrics, should have had either minor works certs or EIC done.
So it could be worth getting PIR (periodic inspection report)
Anything prior to when you moved in 2006, it is very unlikely you will be asked about or need to supply certs.
But you will be better advised by you solicitor.
It would also depend where in the UK your house is.

Put the place on the market.

Someone will either buy it as is, ask lots of questions and try to get price reduced, ask lots of questions and want all relevant certificates, or will just not be interested.

Only provide what is asked for, don't worry about what ifs

Double check the EPC requirement, I'm fairly sure this particular loony requirement had been removed by the coalition middle of last year.

Sponsored Links
Double check the EPC requirement, I'm fairly sure this particular loony requirement had been removed by the coalition middle of last year.

No, they got rid of the HIPs almost immediately...but kept the EPC. Having seen how houses are assessed for the EPC I agree that it's a nonsense...

When selling your property, your purchaser's solicitors will ask for evidence that any replacement glazing installed since April 2002 complies with the Building Regulations. There are currently two ways to prove compliance:-

◦a certificate showing that the work has been done by an installer who is registered with FENSA or a similar body
◦a certificate from the Local Authority Building Control stating that the installation has been approved under the Building Regulations.

If the installer was registered with Fensa at the time go to the Fensa website and you can use the post code search tool to see if the installation was registered with them. If it was you can get replacement certificates.

Otherwise a retrospective cerificatefrom the LA may take longer and could be costly so insurance may be your best way forward here. Your Solicitor will advise.

Or you just say "I haven't got any". They can't shoot you for it. As advised above, put it on the market first. Only worry about certs if you are asked.

EPC is the only one required to market the property and estate agents will sort that for you (but you'll pay for the privilege - agent wants a cut). Independent Domestic Energy Assessors can do the job instead for less money. Search here to find a local one https://www.epcregister.com/searchAssessor.html and don't let the estate agent bully you. If an EPC has been issued previously it is valid for 10 years. You can check through the same website.

Or you just say "I haven't got any". They can't shoot you for it. As advised above, put it on the market first. Only worry about certs if you are asked.

Good advice. However I think as standard now, every solicitors questionnaire that goes to a seller will ask about boiler, electrics and windows.

I was actually refering to the rest of the thread, but since you suggested it, yeah why not.

Good advice. However I think as standard now, every solicitors questionnaire that goes to a seller will ask about boiler, electrics and windows.

Quite true they do ask. My point was that you can just say 'No, don't have any certs. Lost, mislaid, eaten by the dog etc etc'. The windows might be a contentious issue however, as the separator on post 2002 windows normally has a date stamp, which means you might not be able to deny having them fitted. If the surveyor doesn't see it then the Energy Assessor might - it's one of the key things they look for.

Also apologies for continuing to post on an old thread. I'm usually quite vigilant about date checking but must have been half-asleep on this one. But since we're here I thought it worth continuing to discuss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back