Selling a plot with full planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Scotland and have a nice house in the country which came with a field, in total including my house and garden it comes to about 2 acres. I have no use for the field so I am giving serious thought to the idea of selling part of it as a building plot.
My idea so far is to obtain full planning permission for a 3 bed bungalow on approx 0.5 of an acre at the far end of my field and sell it on the property market.
And that is as far as I have got so far.
I know I have to obtain planning permission from the council, but what should my first step be?
Do I go to a local builder and ask for quotes for building a house, do I go to an architect and ask them to provide me with plans for a house on the plot, or am I way off the mark already?

Sponsored Links
Best option is to obtain outline permission for a new house. If you get detailed permission then some potential buyers may be put off buying the site if they want to build a different size and / or style of building.

First step is an informal chat with the planning department to see how they feel about a new residential property bein built on the site. They may ( off the record ) help with advice as to what style / size would possibly be aceptable to them and what would definately not be acceptable.

It might be that planning policy will not allow any development in the area in which case you should get a clear statement that there would be no point spending money with builders or architects.

Your first and only step is to apply for outline planning permission. If you are not building anything then it's no use to you getting quotes or designing a building.

If you can't do the application yourself, then you need someone to advise you and submit one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice so far. I was under the impression the plot would command a higher asking price if full planning permission was already granted, is this not always the case then?

The value of land always depends on what you can do with it/build on it.

Well, to a developer, a site where Outline Permission has been rejected is obviously worth less than a site where Outline Permission has been approved ('with some matters reserved'). But a Full Planning Permission on a scheme of the same size is likely to be worth more than an Outline Permission even if the developer subsequently revises the scheme. So, I guess you have to weigh up the cost of the two types of application (which is obviously a lot more than simply the planning fee) against the potential risk of refusal and the potential return on your investment.

Well, to a developer, a site where Outline Permission has been rejected is obviously worth less than a site where Outline Permission has been approved ('with some matters reserved'). But a Full Planning Permission on a scheme of the same size is likely to be worth more than an Outline Permission even if the developer subsequently revises the scheme. So, I guess you have to weigh up the cost of the two types of application (which is obviously a lot more than simply the planning fee) against the potential risk of refusal and the potential return on your investment.

Watch out for that one too, I found out that with the plot with outline permission I was selling-after assuring us he only wanted the one plot the potential buyer had sneakily submitted plans for two 4bed places instead of the single 3 bed we had plans for, ,with a huge gable end overshadowing our property. Luckily for us the sale had not completed or had permission been granted we wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back