Selling Electrical Stuff On ebay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage full of bits and pieces, boxes, blank plates, terminal blocks, accessories, lamps, circuit breakers etc...

I have no shortage of time.

Would it be better to post it all up individually or break it down into "job lots"?

Cheers, guys!

Sponsored Links
The trouble with car boots is you have to get up on a Sunday morning, then spend most of that morning standing about while people try to nick your stuff when you're not looking, or offer you silly money for stuff. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay, taking care to stay within their free listing limits (20 a month, plus occasional short-duration "100 free listings" offers. Bump the postage up a bit to cover selling fees.
Back to the question though, I'd make up lots that you think are worth between £10 and £20. Any less and the postage becomes significant, any more and you exceed Royal Mail's compensation limits.

Yeah, I did try with carboots. One item I took was a £1 prepayment meter which a bloke offered a paltry £10 for. I told him to sling his hook.

I sold it a couple of weeks ago on ebay for £67.

£20 lots is a great idea, thanks.

I do like the idea of doing everything from my lounge, with the odd trip to the parcel counter....

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I don't think anyone is going to pay 74 quid for a job lot of Steeple breakers.

You see, people can just buy a new consumer unit fully loaded with breakers for that.

You would do better selling those individually, as people would want just one or two to make additions to an existing consumer unit.

No, I know. The idea is that the face value represents what the breakers are worth to someone who sells the off 1 by 1.

The idea is that folk make me an offer for the whole lot.

I find myhermes easy to use for delivery as you can take stuff to the local corner shop that's a drop off point.

I use myHermes a lot, for the same reason as mattylad. Some items are cheaper than Royal Mail, some aren't.

Someone mentioned Gumtree - riddled with con merchants, and you don't get as much protection as ebay give.

People won't bother to offer you £25 if they think your a dreamer who wants £70

Can always lower the price.

What do you suggest? Or is £25 your suggestion!!!!

What %age of the "sold individually" value should I enter instead?

I use MyHermes too. Great!

I meant for a quick sale on the job lot!
I don't think I have the stamina to enter them all individually.

Entering isn't an issue. Just say email rating at purchase. Or some sellers have drop down menus.

Posting them is !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back