Selling House - Indemnity Insurance and Statute of Limitations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Quick question (have had a quick search but not found the same question before...)

We're in the process of selling our house and the buyer's solicitor is getting a bit silly with regards to indemnity insurance requests.

The house has a restrictive covenant in place (dating from god knows when but probably when the house was built) stating “no building shall be constructed without the consent of the surveyor of the vendors or their heirs” - meaning no other building on the property.

To the side of the house a previous owner has installed a 'lean to' on top of a timber deck - the agents tried to sell it as a conservatory but it's basically a greenhouse sat on top of decking wedged down the side passage of the house (see picture).

To the rear of the garden is an old car port - basically a timber frame to support a roof between next door's garage (to left of picture) and the brick boundary wall on the right.

The the buyer’s solicitors are asking that an indemnity insurance policy be put in place for the breach of this covenant which has occurred - my first question is do these structures constitute a breach - highest point on either structure is under 2.5m?

Secondly my solicitor has stated "...in respect of the lean to, extension and carport do you have the building regulations certificates/ If not, the buyer’s solicitors may ask for a lack of building regulations indemnity insurance in this regard." - I thought there was a statute of limitations with regards to building regulations and I wouldn't expect the lean to and carport to be covered by regs? (The extension was built a good way back - previous vendor stated 1900 on property form but I think that's BS) and the lean-to and carport were both there when we bought the property in 2006.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 1DS_7067.JPG
    1DS_7067.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 347
  • lean to.jpg
    lean to.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get another buyer
Lol - I don't think it's the buyer that's causing this but rather their solicitor...our buyer seems quite easy going based on the conversations he's had with the agent etc.

With respect to the Building Regs indemnity the works are well beyond any time span by when a prosecution could be brought so tell the solicitors to do one in that respect. Your own solicitor should know this (more than likely does).

With respect to the other I'm not sure, how much we talking about for this anyway? £60 or something?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure as to the amount for the indemnity but the buyers solicitor obviously gets a commission from the insurance company! ;)

I should add that both the carport and lean-to were in situ when we bought the house in 2006...

I'm not sure as to the amount for the indemnity but the buyers solicitor obviously gets a commission from the insurance company! ;)
It is worth paying the one off indemnity, almost always the cost is trivial. It provides cover for any costs your buyer may have to pay out if someone comes along and takes action against them for the breaking of the covenant. And protects you from them taking action against you to recover costs if there is any legal action.

The chances of any action being started are almost zero hence the low cost of the indemnity. But as in the case of a friend and a ransom strip a small cost one off premium of ( IIRC ) £ 10 saved him paying over £ 2000 ( 1980's ) to get a lease to cross the ransom strip. Other house owners affected either paid the money or lost the use of their garages.

As far as I know the solicitors do not get any commission.

With respect to the Building Regs indemnity the works are well beyond any time span by when a prosecution could be brought so tell the solicitors to do one in that respect. Your own solicitor should know this (more than likely does).

What is the time limit for enforcement of building regs?

You can't buy indemnity insurance direct, you have to go through a solicitor. I tried before!

Dont you just love solicitors and conveyancers? One person wants to sell, another wants to buy, solicitors try and make it as difficult as possible. Some of the daft things I've had to deal with in my time makes you want to cut off yer own head.

Tell them to do one, the carport wouldn't come under building regs and the "conservatory wouldn't provided it is under 30sqm and retains the external door to the house and doesn't include gas, electrics or water and as fmt said there is a limitation of 12 months from completion for enforcement of building regs. There is nothing to indemnify against.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back