selling off a bit of land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hullo, I have a bit of spare land that I am considering selling. It is at the bottom of a pony paddock next to a road and adjacent to a bungalow. I'm not to sure how big it is but it must be 40 meters long by about 12 wide. Is there a guide on here as to the easiest way of selling it? We don't have very much money, which is why we are considering selling this bit! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Are you thinking of selling it as a house plot or just as a bit of land for someone or what?

Depending on what/if anything can be done with will have a huge effect on how you go about selling it and for how much.

It's only big enough for a plot for a house. You won't fit many ponies on it... :eek: On the plus side, it had road frontage and a house beside it. It is on a country lane so would be a nice spot for a bungalow like the one next door. What we don't have is lots of money to spend on a complete planning application so we want to A) find out if we will get turned down flat before spending any money and B) look at outline planning for a small house on the plot. We will not be building anything ourselves there.

Speak to your local planning dept and see if you can get outline planning permission (OPP) for a dwelling of a certain size.

Then speak to a local estate agent or surveyor who deals in land.

Sponsored Links
12 wide? Could get a pair of semis in that easy! And a metre garden path down either side, front door on the side elevation, nice 10 m deep house with the hall central.. And still have space for two parking slots at the front and a 100 square metre garden at the back..

Ps you can often ask for guidance for free but none of it will be binding even if an officer says sure you could get a dwelling there. Best to either cough up for outline permission (for a single dwelling, as this is cheaper. And proves develop ability, then market it as land with planning and let the Purchaser pursue for 2 dwellings.. Or just put it on the market right now saying it has development potential subject to gaining the necessary consents and make the sale conditional on the grant of permission.. If it's worth 100 grand with permission, market it for 90 wih a clause that he buyer doesn't have to buy if they get refused, but they have to pay the planning fees to find out. It's worth a punt to them because they get it at a ten grand discount. If you want the extra ten grand, you're gonna have to pony up the few hundred quids for a planning app

I have emailed planning with the postcode and a description but they wanted more detail, so I sent a google maps link of the bit of land. Waiting for a reply.
I thought that they would be more general about areas where planning is allowed, but apparently not..
I measured it the other day and its about 200 feet long by 50 wide, so you could have a bungalow with a drive and still have a 100 foot garden. Its dead flat too and runs along the roadside. I suppose we will have to wait and see.. :confused:

Land is only worth what you can do with, or build on it.

Do your homework or get some professional advice to make sure that you don't sell it for pennies when it's worth thousands to a developer.

Don't rely on planners "opinion". They can be wrong and decisions can be overturned on appeal. Get professional advice from insured people who know about land and planning issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back