Semi recessed sink collapsed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

My semi recessed sink collapsed of its housing sometime ago whilst my wife was clearing it. Several plumbers won't touch it as it appears to be too much messy work.

Any idea what type of underside glue I will need to get this to hold up after I dismantle it. I guess superglue and mastic sealent won't cut it but maybe grabfix or something like that?

Sponsored Links
Its probably the back of the Unit that has rotted away with water damage, try fixing it with a bracket/s or batten, seal sink to top with silicon.

There looks to be a cabinet below so could you wedge something in too hold it up?

Sponsored Links
What type of epoxy resin?

Is Gripfill an epoxy resin?
A builder/plumber at Selco suggested something called Araldite. Is this the proper stuff for this?

I'm not sure if mastic or wedging something underneath is the answer. I know there is a bracket underneath but my wife's pressure onto it was what caused it to drop in the first place.

Cheers.

Try taking some of the weight off it by cleaning it ;)

People often rely on just silicone to stick these things in place - and so often it fails.
Clean up, silicone again, and then cross brace underneath with timber to hold it in place permanently.
John :)

It looks crappy sitting on top of a cabinet like that.

Norcon - what else do you expect it to sit on if there's a cupboard underneath? The brackets still seem intact.

What's the proper way of installing a semi recessed sink like that?

It isint a semi recessed basin its under slung thats come away from the worktop.

Yes you're right, my bad, its not semi recessed bit an under counter sink - if that is the correct name.

Wow, that is a dirty sink/tap/unit combo.

My mums double kitchen sink fell off a few years back, I glued it back on with Tigerseal (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-Seal-TIG-Polyurethane-Adhesive/dp/B0039ZTYK0/ref=pd_sim_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BAJQF54F75XQZR500N2#productDetails).

It was a metal sink on granite and is regularly filled to the brim with water.

Is this a sink in a kitchen unit or a basin in a bathroom vanity cupboard?

As mentioned above, if the unit panels are water damaged it would be best to pull the whole unit and fixture, and slide in a new unit. That's if the unit is not trapped by the raised flooring.

There are ways of reinforcing these installations in new unit work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back