sending a large photo that won't go by email

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
a friend has asked me to send them a photo at high resolution, to include in a publication. However it is rejected by their mail server because it is too big. How can I do it? I am thinking I should be able to upload it somewhere, but I put it on photobucket and they say it came out too small.

The source picture is 29,703 kb

it is a .jpg

TIA

Sponsored Links
John,

If you have Windows XP download and install the Windows Image Resizer .
It is the 11th one down on the right hand side.

If you have Vista or Windows 7 get this version

To use, it is simple:

Right click on the picture,
Select 'Resize Picture' in the menu,
Put a dot in Small and click OK.

It will put another icon or thumbnail next to the original, with the same name and (small) next to it.

The original is not affected in any way and you should be able to send the small version as an attachment for the recipient to enlarge as needed.

Used it for years with never a problem.

dave

Get Winzip or WiRAR and create a split archive file of several smaller bis & sent them in individual emails.

Do not make any part over 10mb.

thats one big photo, I presume it has been taked with a very high Mp camera?
If using the winRAR method, I wouldnt go more than 9.5 meg, an email is usually 10Mb max in total, not just the attachments.

Sponsored Links
Years ago when my modem ran at 1200 baud I used a program called 7+ which split a file into many parts to send it over packet radio.

Latter I had a program designed to put a large file onto floppy disks called PKzip or was it just Zip I seem to remember only the CLI version had this function.

I have been using Widows Live to transfer photos but after what you said I checked and found it has auto reduced the file size. One a Pamorama test photo made from 6 or 7 standard photos it has not reduced in size however that one can't be viewed without clicking on it and opening it up on it's own with out web page.

In the past I have put large items onto my web page but the one I have now is only 15meg.

you could use rapidshare its free to upload i believe and will handle easily that size of file.

I've used it at work to download huge jpg files of high resolution photos of PCB's and some of those rars were in excess of 200MB

warning though you'll need a fast connection like at work or broadband

You can open a dropbox account and allow other access to up to 2gb of data, FREE

Thanks for all the suggs, chaps

In the end I copied the pics to a CD and sent it by post

1990's technology, huh?

Mixture of old and new technology, nice. :D

The winzip 'disk spanning' functionality was a good tip though. You can break down the individual parts to as small as you want.

I think the recipient would need a/the zip package to enable reassembly of the spanned archive received - Need to 'want to do it' too.

I grew up with LHA archiver late 80's so today after dabbling with a few archiving progs inc. paid for Winzip, have gravitated to the freeby IZArc http://www.izarc.org/ This can usefully repair archives - allegedly !

I don't know if there is a freeby archiving prog which will produce a self extracting (SFX file) spanned set ??? - Recipient would not then need a 'zip' program to unzip / reassemble the set....

If the pix in question was for screen viewing then I guess 96 dpi resolution would have been fine, a 10"x 8" in 24 bit colour ( 96 x 10 )x ( 96 x 8 ) x 24 / 8 ~ 2.21 MB

Whereas the same file for hardcopy at 300 dpi
( 300 x 10 ) x ( 300 x 8 ) x 24 / 8 ~ 21.6 MB

(300 / 96)² = 9.765.. times larger file, bitwise...

Possibly - I am not sure here... 28.8 MB with 32 bit colour.

If the 96 dpi version were printed at 300 dpi then the image would be smaller by a factor of 3.125 being ~ 3.2" x 2.56"... I bet we have all seen that result at some point down the years !

I'm sure tis all far more complex - ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32_bit_color ) but the above isn't a mile out of kilter.

--

Just feel the width !!

...IZArc is a freeware archive utility supporting many archive formats like: 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CAB, CDI, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MDF, MBF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO. With a modern easy-to-use interface, IZArc provides support for most compressed and encoded files, as well as access to many powerful features and tools. It allows you to drag and drop files from and to Windows Explorer, create and extract archives directly in Windows Explorer, create multiple archives spanning disks, creating self-extracting archives, repair damaged zip archives, converting from one archive type to another, view and write comments and many more. IZArc has also build-in multilanguage support.

With IZArc you can open CD image files like ISO, BIN, CDI and NRG.
It is also possible to convert such files from one type to another (BIN to ISO, NRG to ISO).

If you need to send large files to your colleagues, friends or customers who may not have archiving tool you can easily create self-extracting archive that can be extracted by simple double click.

IZArc can be configured to run your preferred Anti-Virus scanner when you open any archives.

IZArc supports 256-bit AES encryption to secure your data.

IZArc is integrated in Windows so you can perform all archiving operations by using right-click menus in Windows Explorer.

If you have broken archives IZArc can help you to repair them with ease.

IZArc is 100% virus free and it doesn't contain any spyware or adware.

IZArc is allegedly the most complete archive utility available today... If not yesterday...

:D

When sending pictures to friends, I use Yousendit. But when sending pictures or videos to customers, I burn and mail CD myself.
But when I send CD to USA or Canada, I use http://www.shipyourdata.com
They deliver CD overnight, faster thanb Fedex.
:idea: [/b]

I've recently used Transferbigfiles.com for sending 54MB files, to about 100 people, no problems at all.
I used an evaluation copy of winrar to create the one file from a few smaller ones. You just click the files you want and a few boxes, and it makes a self-extracting exe thing.
If you give it email address(es) it sends them the link to download from when the upload's ready for them.
I did it by giving it MY email address, so it tld ME where the link was, which I sent to anyone who wanted the file.
I had to upload 5 times, but no big deal. 54MB took about 16 minutes upload for me.

It's limited to 20 downloads per upload, 2 weeks to do it, and 1GB files. Fine for photos etc.

Sponsored Links
Back