Sensitive smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Folks!

I appreciate there's an Alarms oriented forum, but as this is battery operated domestic, I think there maybe a wider audience here, with experience.

I have a coupe of lodgers who are allowed to smoke outside, however occasionally I get a whiff of smoke inside which maybe from their mates smoking outside but leaning in the [downstairs ] bedroom window while smoking/talking. I want to discourage this as it still stinks the house out.

I'm looking for a battery operated.... though I could maybe do a mains operated... smoke alarm which has been found to be otherwise annoyingly sensitive, particularly to cigarette smoke.

Any experiences / thoughts / etc?

Ta!

Sponsored Links
you can get cigarette smoke alarms, which are extra sensitive to the lighting and smoking of cigarettes, they cost a lot more than the 9V battery ones though.
Do you know what type of smoke alarms you have fitted?
As it's rented property I would consider mains with battery back up, unfortunately they are easy to remove and this may be your problem.

I let rooms in my house - just using battery smoke detectors - some with the old fashioned radio-active gizmo and some with the newer photo-electric sensors I think.

I'll have a sniff around for those specifically sensitive to cigarette smoke.

Thanks!

I let rooms in my house - just using battery smoke detectors - some with the old fashioned radio-active gizmo and some with the newer photo-electric sensors I think.

I'll have a sniff around for those specifically sensitive to cigarette smoke.

Thanks!

Remember though one of the main causes of Fire are caused by cigarettes, so really you require an alarm that will tell that people are smoking.

It may be a nuisance the alarms going off, but if your rules are "No Smoking" in the rooms, then why should you bend your own rules to accomodate your lodgers.

If letting the rooms is going to be a long term effort I would suggest Mains/Battery Alarms linked to all rooms,

its very easy to take out a battery from a Battery only Smoke Alarm, Again the most common cause of Fire Deaths in the Home.

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm!

I have 4 rooms let in my house - and 3 of them to smokers.
The other 2 go out back to smoke, carefully dispose of the butts and carry on breathing a bit out there, as THEY don't want their rooms smelling smokey.

Yet the 3rd, who does go outside to smoke [most of the time as far as I can tell ] always stinks of smoke as do his friends. I think there's leaning in and out of the window. It's odd that once the previous lodgers realised that leaning in and out was 'detectable' [ they say I need a cat's bell ] they all behaved.... except this 1!!!

But, though a restrictor would help, I think I really just need to enforce the rules of the house.

I'll deffo get a cigarette smoke alarm in there anyway.

Unfortunately they are a necessary evil as the mortgage has to be paid.

The conversation goes like this.

Hello lodger, meet Steve.
Steve is a wonderful chap, he is clean & tidy and is employed so can make regular payments.
He will be replacing you in this flat if you don't stop blooming well smoking in it!!!!

lol

Disclaimer: Names etc are all made up and not representative of anyone on here.

I don't go there.

They are told the rules [ of which there are only about 10 which includes no smoking, no more than 2 in the shower at once, to lock the doors, to clean-up after themselves in the kitchen, load the dishwasher, unload the dishwasher, change loo rolls....... hell, it's real easy living here! ]

The are reminded

They are reminded once more

They find their stuff strewn across the front yard next time they come home!

1 was behind on rent - his mother divvied up the last when she picked him up for a Court Hearing..... All excited he handed it to me and I suggested he go pack a bag. "Prison is never an outcome!!" No, but you'll want some stuff to cover you until the weekend at your Mom's! You're out!!!
"But don't I get a 2nd chance?"!!!!!

After telling me he couldn't be asked to walk into town on a nice day, maybe stop for a coffee or a beer & pick up the rent money..... was the last straw!

Another 1 I knew his mother was picking him up from work and feeding him at her place.... I called her & said she may as well make-up a bed there too!!

The money she had been giving him to pay the rent went on 'smokes' and beers.

Odd..... been letting rooms now for.....20 years I guess & only ever had to throw 2 out and both this year....

Maybe we'll be making that 3 !!

You could go down the sprinkler route, getting pyssed wet through may stop them, might not be so kind to your property though!
It's quite simple in my book, if you don't want your tenants to smoke in the property, don't rent out to smokers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back