Sensor/bell box recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy some decent internal movement detectors, some door sensors and a bell box. I'm spending a fair bit on the alarm itself so no point scrimping on the other elements.

Can anybody recommend some good makes/models of:

Magnetic door sensors (the surface mount type, they are going on UPVC doors)
PIRs
Curtain PIRs
Combined PIR and Microwave detectors
Bell boxes

It'd be nice if the internal sensors were from the same range but it's not essential. I don't have any pets so I don't need pet safe detectors.

Some guidance on what makes to avoid would be handy too - e.g. sensors that don't seem to last very long, cause false alarms, are difficult to install and so on.

Sponsored Links
Contacts - CQR
PIRs - Optex RX-40PT
Curtain PIR - Aritech or Pyronix KX15-DTAM (curtain lens)
DualTec - Bosch Blueline or Pyronix KX15-DTAM
Bellbox- Pyronix Deltabell

These are my suggestions, there will be many others... :)

Thanks for your recommendations. The Pyronix KX15-DTAM sounds like a good bet as it can be adapted to curtain or normal dual-tech mode as needed, the added flexibility could come in handy.

I had been thinking of fitting mostly dual-techs throughout the house but then it occurred to me that I'd be bombarding myself with microwaves all the time and it might not be the best idea. Is that how dual-techs work? Is the radio emitter powered all the time or just when the alarm is armed?

"Microwave" covers a massive range of frequencies. Motion sensors are at about 10.5GHz, a long way from the 2.4GHz used in microwave ovens. The power is also incredibly low.

Sponsored Links
I had been thinking of fitting mostly dual-techs throughout the house but then it occurred to me that I'd be bombarding myself with microwaves all the time and it might not be the best idea.
I've got some old tin foil hats left over from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" you could have if you're that worried.

No thanks, I figure I'll just build a faraday cage in the middle of one of the rooms and spend all my time in there.

Anybody else have any recommendations for their favourite/bell boxes sensors? What's your "go to" kit that you'd install in your own house if you were fitting a new system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back