Serious error - Blue screen shutdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep getting this error from time to time on my PC running XP:

Stop (blue screen) error caused by a device or driver
You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a stop error, also called a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.

Here are the results of a crash report I ran:

On Fri 08/06/2012 18:07:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060812-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x37446)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFE21FC01C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBF837446, 0x1)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Can anyone shed any light on what it could be, and more importantly, what I can do to stop it ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
look in your logs to see whats causing a problem.
Control panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer.

It could be USB devices going on the blink, or if you have updated any device drivers recently.

Or it could be overheating - clean out any dust etc and give the memory cards and PCI cards a little push

Also try typing sfc /scannow in a command window. This will check the OS and repair any corrupt system files

I've had this twice in the past, and after checking everything and wasting loads of time, it was easier to just reformat and reinstall the OS

Buy a new PC

No seriously, XP is old school Windows 7 is the future!!

regarding the error....they are seldom investigated a re-install of windows in a fraction of the time is more efficient solution

What is your CPU and how much memory do you have?

Sponsored Links
It's a Pentium 4 and I have 1 Gb of ram. It's an 8 year old Medion from Aldi.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a new PC from Ebuyer as they have some good specs for around £200-300. The only problem is I am not familiar with Windows 7 and I want to keep all my business emails for the last few years in Outlook Express. I won't be able to transfer them to Windows 7 as Outlook Express is obsolete.

Outlook express mail can be imported into windows 7 live mail, the full Outlook or most other common email programs or even online email such as Gmail

A quick web search indicates the error code 0x10000050 may relate to a "bad" RAM stick or a possibly bad sector on the hard drive. The latter can be checked with CHKDSK /R at a command prompt, the former with specific memory checking software which may be available on the Net. Although Windows XP is "old" it DOES NOT mean it is dead! Ignore those who want you to upgrade to WIN7, XP is still perfectly good.

I think the Ram is dodgy because I sometimes get spikes on Cleanmem monitor. Again, I got the blue screen shutdown last night:

On Sat 09/06/2012 20:03:29 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061012-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x37446)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFE267E01C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBF837446, 0x1)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

The hard drive was a 500 GB Western Digital replacement new drive last year. The trouble is, getting ram for this machine is costly because it's an old model. I do agree though, why upgrade to Windows 7.

Win XP was at least one of Microsoft's better OS's. Certainly much better than Win95 and Vista. I've been reading reviews of the new Win8 (soon to be released) and none of them are good news for us oldies. I've also been reading about MS's attempts to introduce Secure Boot (UEFI) and that's very bad news for those of us who choose to dual boot different OS's.

You could have all your emails in a PST file then simply add it to Outlook on new PC

You don't need to buy a new PC, I upgraded all my kids PC's from Ebay

Pentium D which is Dual Core, Sata Drive, 1-2 Gig RAM = £30 - £60, I bought 5 and lowest price was £31 highest was £62 and I have all of them on W7, I wasn't concerned about how much RAM cos DDR2 is quite cheap anyway 2Gig for £10-£15

Example.....and here are mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Opti..._DesktopPCs&hash=item27c7f43de9#ht_500wt_1156

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I was going to go for something like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/362648-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1058[/QUOTE]

Seems like good value but add on a legit copy of windows 7 and a moitor keyboard and mouse it suddenly becomes more than entry level price

Memory Is overkill and hardrive Is too Big for an os it should only be 80 to 160 large drives are for storage what happens if you blue screen and your desktop Is full of family photos

Good luck though watever you decide brand new or ebay bargain

Sponsored Links
Back