Service and repair work

E

eddiescully

Well guys im a qualified plumber from ireland who was let go recently. Im an RGI and the company i worked for did all domestic plumbing, oil and gas installations ect. Since i was let go i am very interested in going into the service and repair of oil and gas boilers. As all the work i was doing was just installations i went off to a energy training centre and did a 12 day course in domestic gas boiler servicing/repair (Blueflame Certification) and this course did give me a good basic understanding but as we all well know a 12 day course leaves me well short to were i want to be. But in ireland that is it, i cant take my training any further in this line of work there is notting else out there. I was thinking of doing a certificate in Mechanical Engineering NFQ level 6 but by doing this would this help in understanding boiler fault finding (diagnostics) any advice thanks

Sponsored Links
I always think that its the electrics/electronics which are the limiting factor for most people when trying to repair boilers.

The answer of course is also lots of practical experience!

Tony

go on manufactures courses they will help
but other than that practice
and join the combustion chamber for detailed information

Come over to England - there's loads of work here.

Sponsored Links
What Joe means is there is plenty of work here if you are Polish and happy with £5 an hour.

But two months ago I met a Polish fellow outside Wickes who was a qualified cook as well as a very experienced carpenter/joiner. He had not done any proper job for six weeks and spent the day helping people to load at Wickes and getting the odd tip.

he had been here for six years and spoke quite good english.

But he did want £8 an hour minimum whereas I was looking for someone at £6 an hour for unskilled work.

Tony

Tony stop talking to strange men in car-parks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let alone offer them £6 per hour!

Andy

He had spent six weeks approaching tradesmen at Wickes in the hope of getting some work.

But he had not done a single days work in all that time. Obviously his £8 would have put a lot of builders off when most East Europeans work for £6 an hour.

There was a Polish fellow at Highgate who made a placard saying "I want a job" about a year ago. I only saw him on the one day so presumably he found one.

There is a place at Cricklewood where they congregate from 7 am each morning and get picked up by builders vans if they are lucky!

Tony

But he did want £8 an hour minimum whereas I was looking for someone at £6 an hour for unskilled work.

Tight Ba5tard! It' speople like you who fuel the cheap rate economy.

Tony

@ £6 ph thats 7p over the minimum wage, put it into perpective if the geezer was to work for 8 hours tony would have to pay him £48, unskilled or not its not a lot of money living that close to london.

agile your tight wad especialy since you charge minmum 84 pound per diagnositic not per fixs

I'll think you will find Tony to be an astute business man.

An £84 diagnostic fee is not unreasonable to be honest. You charge what you think you are worth, and if Tony thought his charges were excessive I'm sure he would re-assess them.

He has charged this for over 3 years now, with no rise in that time at least. He seems to be doing well, so I respectfully suggest you do not slag him off for his charges.

Joe-90 is at the other end of the food chain - cheap as chips..... rip off the poor people buying a house he has bodged with poor tradesmen. Thinks he gives advise when he types on this forum..... etc.

His plumbing advise is as good as his guitar playing, but you will never reason with an idiot. (Remember when he wanted to steal a car to stop his daughter getting another speeding ticket?)

Mr. W.

His plumbing advise is as good as his guitar playing, but you will never reason with an idiot. (Remember when he wanted to steal a car to stop his daughter getting another speeding ticket?)

Mr. W.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I missed that one, do you have a link?

misterdubya i think that he think skilled man worth less due to his orgins is what i can object too

Bearing in mind he is part of admin, I'm sure he will get to it before I do, but I'm looking right now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back