Set an external light to come on at a certain time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an external light that I turn on when it gets dark outside.
The switch is in the Hallway.

I am going away for a couple of days, is there a gadget I can use to make the light turn on at a certain time and off at a certain time?

The light is not operated by PIR motion detector, I have one of those at the rear of the property.

Sponsored Links
If you just want a temporary solution, there are these things...

Gaz :)

We don't know if there's a neutral at the switch for the TLC product ?
The Maplin unit looks ideal , if it works !

DS

Sponsored Links
if it works

This shows how it works, a little wheel rolls over the switch, which can be moved to suit whether you have a single, double or triple switch. The noise would irritate me, hence why I said "temporary solution"!

Thank-you for the replies rsgaz, detlefschmitz and deadshort.

I love the look of the light switch timer from MyDome. The noise would not bother me as I wont be there when it is in use.

On their website it says it will work on a 2 gang switch.
Is mine a 2 gang switch? Please see picture attached.

My switch has 2 buttons, one for internal hall light and one for the exterior light.
I would only want the exterior light to come on at the set time.

I do not know the nearest stockist so may not be able to get it before I leave.

Attachments

• IMG-20161223-00938.jpg
    IMG-20161223-00938.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 86
We don't know if there's a neutral at the switch for the TLC product ?
The Maplin unit looks ideal , if it works !

DS
Sorry OP, good point DS - posted without thinking - just that I have one myself, and it does the job (because I have a neutral).

My switch has 2 buttons, one for internal hall light and one for the exterior light.
I would only want the exterior light to come on at the set time.

You just need to move the wheel on the back into one of the arrowed slots.

lightswitch.jpg

Thank-you both.

Nearest Maplins is 50 minutes away but we have a new Screwfix just opened a few miles away so I am going to get one now.

It is a big Screwfix but they do not have it in stock, B&Q don't either, nor did an electrical shop in town.
I can order one but it wont be in until I am back. Never mind. I can probably get one when I am away for next time.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back