Sewage pipe under my patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have dug up my patio, and my intentions were to relay some stone slabs down.

I have come across what appears to be a junction box for sewage! Taking kitchen waste and toilet waste, from the back(side!) of my house, and channelling of to the sewer mains. Sorry I dont know the technical term!

I was considering lowering the level of my patio and I have a few questions:

1) Do I NEED to leave access to this juntion chamber (now that i know its there? (i realise it MAY be in my interest to fit a recess tray incase of blockages).

2) Are there regulation governing the size/volume of this chamber? It measures 400x600, depth of approx 400. I was considering removing one course of bricks to assist in lowering the new floor level, but dont know if I am restricted indoing this as it would reduce the capacity.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Capacity? It is there only to allow access for clearing blockages. Depth is not important. You could remove a course of bricks. Before you do, make a frame that will sit in the bottom of the hole, and lay a sheet of cardboard to entirely fill the hole outline. It is not funny having to separate bricks from shh it.

Recessed i.c. covers look the biz but be prepared for a lot of cutting! You will have the equivalent of about 4.3m of cutting to do, should the lid not happen to fall on any slab joints. :eek: ;)

Cheers folks,
If there is no limit in capacity/volume, i might take 2 courses of bricks off the top to get the floor level Im after.
It has never blocked so shouldnt be a problem I hope!!

Think the cutter will be doing a little overtime!

D

Sponsored Links
If there is no limit in capacity/volume, i might take 2 courses of bricks off the top

Potentially you could take it down to within one course of the pipe top. As oilman has said, don't let any half-enders find their way into the system. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back