Shaping hardwood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to radius the four corners of a 300mm x 30mm piece of hardwood. The radiuses will be 1”. I was going to rout these but I am not really sure of the best way to do this. On two of the corners I will be cutting against the grain and I am worried about chipping the wood, is it best to cut these from the other side? Is the best method to use a template for the router? It would be great if I could run the router all round the template but this will mean cutting against the grain at two corners. If I turn the work over for these, I am likely to end up with steps along the straight sections due to slight differences in template positioning for each side. Any advice welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I may have used the wrong terminology. I want to round the four corners to a radius of 25mm keeping the edges square, effectively forming an oval.

Sponsored Links
Router with a straight bit, guide bush and a template would give better finish though a template and bearing guided bit would be a lot easier. As you say turn the board over for two of the cuts so you are not going against the grain.

You can buy corner templates from the likes of Trend but if you have a scrap of say 6mm MDF thats easily shaped by hand and refined with a sanding block, then just clamp that to your work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back