shared guttering cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a semi detached dormer house.

My neighbor is modifying the roof on his single storey extention.

The problem I have is that we have a common downpipe for the rain water on their property with the fall of the guttering moving from my house to theirs.

In raising the roof they have cut the guttering on my side leaving me with no downpipe for rainwater

Can they really do this. Now all the rain water spills over the guttering and falls into the garden

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No I'm talking about views of the house so we can see the issue in context not a close-up of a cut rwp.

Have you spoken to them they may intend to divert your gutter with a couple of bends to join up with the new gutter on the extension.

what they have said so far is simply its your problem not theirs

spoke to the builder he said just following orders but surely there must be some building regs to follow

Deeds of the house probably mention something about maintaining any shared drainage, point out that if damage occurs to your house as a result of overflowing gutters then they could be liable for the cost of righting this.

Examples might include re-plastering rooms that get damp, replacing bathroom/kitchen stuff etc.

Say that you really really don't want to end up having to go through all that in the long term and see if there is a mutually acceptable solution that can be found.

I had a similar situation and the home owner was mortified that their builders had done such a thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back