SHARP 32JF - 74H problem. HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new here, so not sure if this is the right place to submit this panic. I need to find help from someone who knows all about TV's.

The TV in question is a SHARP 32JF-74H. The dogs :cen: when I bought her in 2002. Full HD 1080i in 2002 was something.
OK she is 8 years old, but still a good TV, although not at the moment, as she does not work. I just cannot afford a new one just yet, But have seen a Tosh. 32" in ARGOS for £245, which I think I'll be saving up for.

The problem.
With the mains plug in. Turn on TV and the LED flashes RED, turns GREEN, turns RED (all in a matter of 1 second) then out and TV is DEAD, nothing. If you try again, nothing happens. However, wait for 5 or so minutes and plug back into mains and the loop starts again - LED flashes RED, turns GREEN, turns RED (all in a matter of 1 second) then out and TV is DEAD.

I have taken off the back cover, and downloaded the - Service_Manual_Sharp_32jf_74h_Color_Tv.pdf. Cleaned out as much dust (Cover never been of in the 8 years we have had her. So 8 years of dust from 5 houses) as I could without disturbing anything other than dust.
Check the main 3.1A fuse, that's OK, had a good look around, can see nothing that would suggest a fault. I have removed the only - IC 1002 CH-IX1841CJHD EPROM SET 4M 3V FLASH 32JF74H S AY - With this out, The LED stays RED, if that's of any help. This is now back in place.
So, that's as much as I can tell you.
Anybody got any ideas on what is causing the TV not to work. What I need to know is...is she BER?
If anybody wants to view the service Manual, its 6.25Mb - 63 Page PDF. Let me know and I will upload to my server for you to download. I will email you the address.
thanks for reading.
Andy

Sponsored Links
The LEDs flashing could be an error code. If you have the service manual and this TV does self diagnose then it should describe the various error codes.

Error codes.
LED FLASHING CODES
If the TV set does not work and the power indicator is flashing, follow the sequence according to the information below, as
a guide to fault finding.
1. Unable to read or write into NVM: 66% ON, 33% OFF twice and OFF for a second.
2. MSP failure: 66% ON, 33% OFF for three times and OFF for a second.
3. VCT failure: 66% ON, 33% OFF for four times and OFF for a second.

Trouble is, LEDs do not flash, just a very quick on and off for red, gree, red off

Could be the same as some other flat panel TVs... dead or dying large capacitor in the power supply. Don't ask me which one or where; it's just a common fault.

The test is to use a hair dryer to heat the caps to see if the TV fires up. Caps respond positively to heat. Silicon responds to cold.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris, I'll see if I can work something out on that front. I have a hair drier ;-0

:D first things to check is the ht supply....with the line op stage disconnected,load the ht supply with a 40w lamp and switch on-if you have correct ht and all other supplies are present the line stage needs checking.
problem may be faulty lopt-the set will be giving a couple of secs line drive before shut down with an error code or a fault with the line op transistor-could be sc which could be due to poor soldered joints-flyback tuning etc
these sets do also suffer from poor line drive which will destroy the line op transistor a short time after switch on-theres a repair kit for this-do replace the nvm before switch on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back