Shattered Windscreen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back windscreen has just been shattered as I was driving along, allowing a fire engine to pass with its siren on. It didn't appear that anything had hit me so my only other thought was that the fire engine siren had shatted the windscreen, in a similar way that an opera singer can shatter a wine glass

Is this possible, or likely to happen?

Sponsored Links
something would have made it shatter. never heard of a siren shattering it tho. could something have fallen onto it?

Unless .. you now have the silent siren in the boot .... :D

Or perhaps Bob's meteor ? :D

irwaite said:
My back windscreen has just been shattered as I was driving along, allowing a fire engine to pass with its siren on. It didn't appear that anything had hit me so my only other thought was that the fire engine siren had shatted the windscreen, in a similar way that an opera singer can shatter a wine glass

Is this possible, or likely to happen?

put it this way, there must have been thousands of journeys if not millions mde by the emergency services with blues and twos going who passed other vehicles so what makes yours the first to have a siren break a windscreen (unless the siren fell off)

also opera singers and breaking glass unaided is made for tv it can not realy happen (it can if they sing ito a michrophone and a transducer is put next to the glass, becuse i have seen it done, but un aided no chance, and before you say you have seen ella fitzgerald do it on tv, what were you watching ? A TV ad for memorex

Sponsored Links
one possibility I can think of is that perhaps your windscreen was already stressed: do you defrost it with warm water? Has your car ever been shunted (or something else that could bend the hatch slightly)? Could someone have thwacked it with a ladder whilst it was parked, but not hard enough to shatter the windscreen, thus weakening it? Or perhaps some malicious get with a tile cutter?

If it was already stressed or damaged, the combination of a heavy vehicle rumbling closely past at high speed, hitting a pothole as it did it, and possibly the "Bass Mekanik" CD you had playing through the boot-mounted subwoofer could have cause the glass to shatter.

I agree that a siren on it's own is rather unlikely to shatter the windscreen. In fact, if you look at "Sound Pressure Level" competition vehicles, the big boys often mount metal bars across the windscreens. Why is this? The sound pressure inside is enough to pop the windscreen out of the mounting, but I've never heard of a case where one has shattered (and they go for full-spectrum sound, not just low frequency bass).

Back