Shaver Socket doesn't work since re-wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure why this happened since the lighting re-wire (missing earth) and once this was done, the old socket seemed to be tripping the circuit so it was presumably just switched off (was an old one with an on/off switch).

I've recently removed this switch and put in a new one but doesn't work! The cable does make my voltage tester beep so I assume this means the cable hasn't been disconnected (and judging from the job the electricians did, I very much doubt they went back into the loft and removed wiring).

I've tested the socket by wiring up to a normal socket and works ok so wondering if the light circuit can power the socket (testing it using a toothbrush charger).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I had similar problems after a part re-wire. Agreement was all sockets fitted should work, however when I came to use some, clearly they had not either wired them in or removed, so I have been slowly going around correcting.

If the voltage tester is bleeping then I would be wary as it could be live, however even two wire testers can give false reading because the cables run close to a supply. I look at the voltage, often if not really connected but just running close, you will get well below 230 volt, say 170 volt, enough to light a test lamp or buzzer but not really connected. Also with only a line and no neutral it will also trigger the tester.

Reading in between the lines I will guess there was a "borrowed neutral" since you say it was tripping, and this has been removed leaving you with only a line connected.

Firstly you need to establish if it is the line or the neutral (or both) that is disconnected. You wont find that using a no contact voltage tester.

It does sound like this is going to be a matter of tracing the cable and using a proper two-probe voltage tester or multimeter to resolve.

But shouldn't you be getting whoever did the re-wiring to resolve this?

thanks - I'll get someone to help me trace.
no chance i'm getting the people who did it in. I had (what I thought was a) good spark who sorted my cooker circuits out and replaced old style fusebox to new but the rewire was terrible - he got 2 other lads in to do it.
They cut through my doorbell and threw in skip without even asking - said 'you don't want that old thing, do you?' once I'd taken it out. they couldn't get it back working (probably been in since the 60's - made in england it says on it!).
they made a mess of the ceilings where i'd pulled up flooring upstairs so there wasn't any need. and coving - looks like instead of working out where the wires would be, they just poked hole in ceiling to locate. terrible. leaving me with loads of little bits to fill in.
I had the ceiling downstairs re-skimmed and the plasterers were struggling with the way the wires were fixed to the beams - not recessed,just over the top. a poor job, really.

Sponsored Links
Always a shame when so-called tradesmen do a rough job, and the customer could probably do a better job.

Unfortunately so many skills and tricks of the trade which help to make a neat job aren't getting passed on to younger electricians.

Try and send some photos of the installation - we are always interested in seeing other peoples work.

thanks - I'll get someone to help me trace.
no chance i'm getting the people who did it in. I had (what I thought was a) good spark who sorted my cooker circuits out and replaced old style fusebox to new but the rewire was terrible - he got 2 other lads in to do it.

That's your spark's problem, not yours. You offer him the opportunity to come back and rectify the work at his cost with skilled labour, making it clear that if he fails to do so you get another spark in to do the job properly and sue the first spark for your extra costs.

yeah, you're right but i'm not going to go though all that hassle, just want it sorting.

here are some pics about the bad workmanship (well, in my eyes anyway - maybe i'm being picky but doubt it).

IMG_20161205_174103_zpsbnkceacb.jpg

Not sure the reason for this hole directly above switch? I'm not too bothered as this room will be totally re-decorated.

IMG_20161205_173155_zpszmoftday.jpg

No idea why the hole circled is there? The floor board above were up. The plasterer doing my kitchen ceiling patched it up and didn't do a great job either.

IMG_20161205_173203_zpshi9nlvkr.jpg

Wires are sticking out quite a lot - i'll replace the coving at some point but i'll need them closer to the wall, really.

IMG_20161205_173212_zpskhveoori.jpg

These cables are really far out of the wall and will need work so the coving doesn't show them or can even be put in place.

IMG_20161205_173229_zpsbfklvtdv.jpg

This is possibly the most annoying. Downstairs toilet/cloakroom with nice woodchip wallpaper. I'd have probably left this paper on and just painted as it's a pain to remove and is the downstairs toilet after all. Also annoying as I removed the flooring above so no need at all the cut into the plaster.

IMG_20161205_174040_zps4th3u5lm.jpg

large hole and 2 small ones - in my lads room which was totally decorated. not sure why these holes are there.

IMG_20161205_183416_zpstiuekxot.jpg

I did have to get them back to fix the above. When turning off the sockets, they'd actually put them all on a single MCB so I called and left voicemail (he obviously doesn't want to speak to me after i criticised his (sub-contractors) work and had £100 knocked off the bill) stating this. The bloke who changed the fusebox originally came out and said one of the MCB's wasn't working and hasn't the same type, so put that one in (which also means the lid on the unit doesn't close properly). Not a good idea to leave all on one though, right?
I've got a replacement MCB and will either DIY or get someone to replace at some point.

IMG_20161205_183429_zpsx5k0yu99.jpg

These 2 are my hob/cooker feeds and I need a socket in the garage (which is where this is). Ok to take a spur off this?

You need to add some more red circles to your consumer unit photos, you have missed most of the defects. That looks like a disgusting install from start to finish. Why is that new consumer unit scribbled all over in permanent marker?

Edit: I've just studied the photos more closely, holy cow there is a lot wrong there. Who configures the circuits so all the lights and sockets are on the same RCD? who on earth fits incompatible MCBs from a different manufacturer in a brand new consumer unit? Blank missing, gaps between MCBs, bending radius too small on cables, meter tails not properly glanded into consumer unit. You have no chance of fitting coving over those cables.

Is this company registered with NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT etc.?

Last edited:
Bloody disgrace :mad:. Sorry, that does not help you!

DS

hmm, there's me thinking the unit is one of the better parts of the job.
If someone can assist in identifying the issues with this, I will write or contact the spark again (even though has been awhile since this was done - August this year).

The labelling was non existent when completed so I'm partly guilty of the permanent marker although was updated by the electrician on the 2nd visit to fix the issues.

There should be an RCD for each light and socket circuit? I've no idea about standards or best practice so would appreciate some pointers.

Is this company registered with NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT - no idea, can I check?

I am so sorry for you Braddock.

How has anyone got the nerve to leave people's homes in such an appalling state - not to mention how crap must the actual work be?

Do people like this work on the principle that there are millions of homes so it'll be a while before they run out of places to which they won't be invited back?

nothing really on there but i've only got page 1 of 2 (although don't seem to remember getting another page, tbh. is possible i did).
it does mention a Part P. Registration number which is completed tho and I have address.
Just need to know what points I should mention in my letter, if anything further to the above? As I say, i know nothing about electrics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back