Shed advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am after getting a shed, probably going to go for wodden, but waht type, I am looking at Apex Tongue & Groove (8 x 6) rather than the Overlap sheds, i think it might be more robust?
There is also a question on what to stand it on, I was thinging paving slabs, but some of them you can get a Portable Base (comes with Galvanised support.
I will probably get it assembled (by the company that i buy it from rather than someone else, I am thinking of the assembly as I have back problemsand assembly at @ £150 isn't that bad)

Can I have people's thoughts please.And suggestions where to buy ( I hear B&Q ones aren't that ggod!)

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
I'm about to buy a shed myself, I've already got a base for it (concrete slab/flagstones) but was thinking of getting this one...

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/BillyOh-Value-8-x-6-Tongue-and-Groove-Apex

I'm pretty sure that the T&G ones will be more solid, I've ignored the overlap ones. This one has no windows which suits me but they've got one for £10 more if you want windows and a double door. Both come with 10 year warranty.

The don't do assembly, it's supposed to be pretty easy so I'm going to give it a go. An alternative is this one which is £70 for assembly. It's only got one year's warranty on it, not sure whether that's an issue but it put me off a bit. http://www.shedstore.co.uk/wooden-g...ex/traditional-special-saver-apex-shed-8-by-6

All the best with it though!

Tim

Sponsored Links
you pay your money and take your choice when it comes to sheds. cheap ones are glorified fence panels with poor quality osb floors and roofs and fittings to match, but depends on your budget.

roofs and floors made from sterling board/oriented strand board[osb]

sides from what looks like 1/2"[9mm ]t&g all ok materials and will last about 7 years give or take

my shed is 5 years old and is now nearly finnished lol
it will require a further 2 coats in 2 years and a further 2 at 11years old then at 15 years old another 2 coats off treatment and check the felt that will still be fine as its 3 layer torch on felt with 2 top coats with an expected 20 year span :D :D

Thanks big-all, 7 years isn't so bad, I was hoping for a bit longer, maybe I will look at cost of presure treated, any thoughts on cot & where to get?

Steve

Actually, this one doesn't look bad:-

http://www.tigersheds.com/product_detail.asp?prod=7

Not Presure treated, but

"THIS SHIPLAP APEX SHED features thick tongue and grooved floorboard in the floor and roof sections and contains NO cheap sheet materials such as OSB or chipboard – beware of shiplap sheds that use single piece OSB / chipboard roofs that offer little protection in the areas where you need it most."

and at 360 for a 10 x6, good price

Steve

7 years is iff you do nothing
if its errected clear off the ground and no wood touching anything other than felt or dpm [this includes logs or earth]

iff you give 2 protective coats every 3 years and change the roof felt roughly every 6 years any shed will last for years but who can be bothered

my shed in the end has cost about £1500 but its now insulated and fully lined with a wood burner in the corner
with the temperature outside at zero the inside at 25 degrees i close down the fire and 5 hrs later its still around 13-15 degrees whilst the outside has probably dropped to -3 :D :D

Thanks agian big-qll.
Wow you went in to it in a big way!

So, even if I go for a solid concerete base, I can't / shouldn't put the shed directly on that? I need it to be on a base?

I guess you agree that the tiger one is better that the Billy Oh?

Steve

idealy if you have a concrete base for a floor the sides need to extend down to cover the edges by around 2 inches then have dpm or felt between the concrette and the sides so if any dampness reaches the concrette it won effect the wood

if you have any wood to rest on concrette like floor bearers best to go for bricks or slabs with felt on top to isolate the wood from the concrette

99% off rot is caused by wood thats wet without airflow to dry it
wood will not easily rot iff its gets wet and can dry so keep off a flat area and away from earth and nearby vertical surfaces

if money is at a premium do the shed in stages
the base
18" slabs set on concrette/cement with felt ontop off a brick at 2ft centres
3x2" treated timber at 2ft centres supports 18mm ply
the base floor walls and roof cost around £700 £240 off that was for 9 sheets off 18mm exteriour ply for the roof and floor
the txg shiplap was a simmilar amount pressure treated

i had the floor with the walls unclad and the roof with only ply on for around 6 months the walls where coverd with the old panels from the 6x8ft shed it replaced to fill in the sides with tarpaulins at the ends and roof this gave a dry if not cold shed so i could work in ;)

So anyone found a pressure treated one that isn't gonna cost £1500?!?

One of our suppliers has recently switched to using these

http://www.ukgardenbuildings.co.uk/index.htm

very good quality. come preglazed (real glass) and doors prehung with ironmongery. Decent materials used. They also do pressure treated as an option. Seem to be a bit more expensive when buying on the net than through one of their agents. As i say, you pay your money and take your choice!

That looks like an excellent option, I'm seriously considering it. You say it is cheaper through agents, any idea whether I can get my hands on one through an agent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back