Shed base ona sloping site.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wish to build a shed and my garden is on a slope, typically 1in 4. I thought about a retaining wall and hardcore infill with a concrete slab on top but it's masses of work (I'm not as young as I was!) and started wondering about concrete block pillars at intervals with substantial wooden bearers on top. I then saw an idea here about plastic drainpipe, set vertical, filled with concrete- obviously easier to get level than the blocks. Bearers are then screwed to the concrete in the pipes.
Is this feasible? The highest one would be about 18'' above ground level on the low side. I'd be interested to know what people thought.
Thanks in advance.

Ian

Sponsored Links
I would drop some rebar down the pipes before filling with concrete, and ensure that there is a sizable foundation at the bottom of each one, else they may sink in.

What is your soil like?

What method of fixing are you planning on?

Thanks for answering. Not sure what you mean by rebar- some sort of re-inforcing rod? Soil is clay and shillot sort of stuff. I thought about a concrete block under each pipe making sure it's on sub-soil.
How about an anchor bolt into the concrete in the pipe though a heavy bearer- say 2x4. The shed will only be used for relatively light storage-no machine tools.

Yea, rebar, also known as reinforcing bar. It's the textured rods you see sticking out of concrete roofs sometimes. It adds tensile strength to the concrete and keeps it a bit stronger.

Expanding anchor bolts may split the concrete it it's right near the top. it may be worth casting a hole through it when you pour, or setting some studding through it and clamping timber to both sides.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help. I think this is the way I'll go as levelling block piers over a slope will be a bit of a pain whereas this way I can leave the pipes long and saw level when they are set in. Presumably plastic pipe will be OK if I buy the sort used for underground sewers.

Ian

Hi,
Yes I thought about this too. It would certainly be easier, and tanalised posts would last for years wouldn't they? Again, easier to level off. I don't know how decking is constructed, I shall have to look into it.
I gather the idea of piles (!) is a reasonable one though.

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back