Shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hopefully someone can help. I'm currently creating a shed base on very uneven ground, half of which has the old shed base on it (a mixture of the cracked concrete slab and bricks). The shed will be 16' by 9'. I've checked with the shed company which way the floor bearers will run (lengthways), so I'm making a series of 9 foot 4x2" bearers running across the width at 2 foot intervals.

I've got about half way across by sinking short posts into the ground, levelling them up and then adding postcrete. So far so good. But now I've got to the concrete/brick bit and I need another approach. I was thinking of using brick or breezeblock pillars with mortar, and then attaching the beams with long screws and plugs or expansion bolts. They need to be about 12" high.

So, questions - has anyone got a better way to do it? If not, what kind of bricks/blocks would be best? Aerated blocks are only for indoors right?

Any advice gratefully received. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I always use half concrete blocks on there side and 2" x 3" bearers

That's kind of what I had in mind. How much do you have to bed them in?

The other thought I had was that I've got a load of 4x8" sleeper offcuts down the side of the house - I was thinking of using a mortar bed for those so I can get them all level and then coach bolting them together.

I am just about to start building my shed (well a bit more than just a shed tbh). It is going to be 4.8 x 3.6 meters. the base is going to be made using 8x2" timber and the walls are going to be 4x2" and fully insulated.

For my base I am putting in 5 strip footings (about a foot deep) and on these I am going to build a 2 or 3 course high 9" wall with a dpc in it to prevent rising damp. Then the base will rest on these walls.

I might be going a little too far with mine but it is going to have plywood and shiplap on the outside and plywood on the inside so is going to be quite a heavy thing. I guess it is always best to have a foundation that is bigger than you need than not up to the job in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I was originally going to build footings for mine, but the ground makes it impossible. As well as the existing concrete slab, there are massive tree roots running all over it. And it's solid clay with big stones in. It's lots of fun even trying to sink post holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back