Shed Project for the Summer!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, been using the site since I bought my house 3 years ago, and have only just got around to registering :rolleyes:
Thought I'd keep a blog of my new garden project, in a bid to keep me motivated at it and to hopefully get some help from everyone on here.
Ok, so I have a large shed (12'x8') at the bottom of my garden, currently just used for the usual...tools, bikes etc but it's pretty much all rotted at the back & sides so its going. Quick pic of the site:
Am planning a concrete block shed/office/general man cave which will span the width of the garden (6.8m) and about 4m deep, did a quick sketch of what i hope it will look like from the front:
View media item 57404and from above:
View media item 57405
Been clearing out the shed last few days so will be time to tear it down and burn it soon, and get digging the foundations. After chatting to a mate of mine who's a builder, he's said I would be best to do the larger area (office) double skinned as I will be using it all year round. What are people's thoughts on that? Worth the extra expense & time?
I will be having the concrete pumped as access is really awkward down the side of my house. and then will be doing the blockwork myself, slowly as i'm no bricky! but will have mates on hand to help who are all in the trades :)

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions on what I should do, or maybe if anyone has done anything similar

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
It looks a good project. I built a large workshop out of concrete blocks only using a singled skin wall due to the thinish area I was building it and battened the outside walls and put kingspan between the battons and cladded it with T&G cladding. If I had had the room I would of had a 2 skin wall with a cavity and kingspan in. To be fair in the summer it is very cool in there when its red hot outside and in the winter it holds the heat very good and looks alot better that just concrete blocks.

If I had had the room I would of had a 2 skin wall with a cavity and kingspan in. To be fair in the summer it is very cool in there when its red hot outside and in the winter it holds the heat very good and looks alot better that just concrete blocks.

So would you think if I don't mind the space lost to do double skinned with insulation?
Also, I didnt say how I'd be finishing it, but I will prob render the 3 sides I wont see with just external plaster and then the front of it will match my house (golden spar dash), just trying to get it to blend in.
Thanks for the comment!

Yes thats what I would do. Its a man cave after all and you don't want to be cold in a man cave.

Sponsored Links
What are you doing for a roof?

As you are within 2 metres of your boundaries you can only have a total height of 2.5 metres.

I'm struggling with headroom in my timber frame design for a 5 metre by 3.4 metre workshop I intend to build over the next few months.

Richard

What are you doing for a roof?

As you are within 2 metres of your boundaries you can only have a total height of 2.5 metres.

I'm struggling with headroom in my timber frame design for a 5 metre by 3.4 metre workshop I intend to build over the next few months.

Richard

Hi Richard,
I'm probably going to use corrugated steel for the roof. Or if I can keep within the 2.5 metres possibly a very slight pitched roof with shingles.
What are you doing?
Paul

I'm thinking of having a very small slope of around 1 in 60 and then cover with either EDPM or GRP. Both are now considered as DIY solutions. See YouTube. Hoping that 47 x 150 timbers @ 400 centres will be OK with 120mm Celotex between roof joists.

I am using an elevated timber frame base due to water levels so this also uses up some of my height, but I guess you can put down a slab at ground level with insulation already in it?

Richard

Got something similar planned. Old timber garage is sagging n rotten. My 4 year old and 2 year old discovered they could snap off sections of cladding and went to work on it. Now covered in holes!

Plan is to have strip foundation with a block substructure. Timber insulated floor, timber frame, osb board with rubber roof(insulated).

Walls will be cement particle board textured white with gaps between panels timber cladding hit n miss style. Vented behind then breather membrane insulation, vapour barrier & M.R plasterboard.

I have two 2.1m x900mm windows either a corner feature or try and incorparate it into the hit n miss paneling.

A timber clad soffit overhang round the perimeter.

Still pretty much getting my head round it still ( part of the fun) marked out and have a dumpy level borrowed to survey levels and get some set.

Hopefully get digging this weekend.

Hi all, been using the site since I bought my house 3 years ago, and have only just got around to registering :rolleyes:
Thought I'd keep a blog of my new garden project, in a bid to keep me motivated at it and to hopefully get some help from everyone on here.
Ok, so I have a large shed (12'x8') at the bottom of my garden, currently just used for the usual...tools, bikes etc but it's pretty much all rotted at the back & sides so its going. Quick pic of the site:
Am planning a concrete block shed/office/general man cave which will span the width of the garden (6.8m) and about 4m deep, did a quick sketch of what i hope it will look like from the front:
View media item 57404and from above:
View media item 57405

Been clearing out the shed last few days so will be time to tear it down and burn it soon, and get digging the foundations. After chatting to a mate of mine who's a builder, he's said I would be best to do the larger area (office) double skinned as I will be using it all year round. What are people's thoughts on that? Worth the extra expense & time?
I will be having the concrete pumped as access is really awkward down the side of my house. and then will be doing the blockwork myself, slowly as i'm no bricky! but will have mates on hand to help who are all in the trades :)

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions on what I should do, or maybe if anyone has done anything similar

Thanks!!

what do you exoect this will cost you in material?

Well, the initial plans didn't really make it past the Mrs and with one thing or another getting in the way the shed took a backseat for a while. Had a bit of spare time recently so got to work and changed things slightly. Initial plans were to have a full width shed/mancave. Her indoors wasn't too happy with that so we compromised and have gone with half decking half shed. The sheds still 3.4m x 3.4m so still an ok size. Also changed mind and went with wood instead of block. Purely because I can work with wood a lot better and would be relying on others a lot more if it was in block.
My progress is here: //www.diynot.com/network/welshman9/albums/15464

Just thought I'd do an update really 😀 not too sure why some images are rotated on here, they're not on the original.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back