shed roof question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I moved into our present house a couple of years back and was happy to inherit quite a large breeze block built shed. All was in good condition including the felted roof. But early on this year I thought rain was finding its way through gaps in a window frame. But then another puddle appeared in a difference place. In fact the roof has 2 leaks!
The roof is constructed of thick ply and the felt has been nailed along the width of the shed.
First question- Is it normal to nail felt down? I thought probably yes for the first strip of felt. But then not for the next overlapping strip of felt on top?
Second question- are there many other methods for covering a shed roof made from ply?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Its fine to nail the felt on a pitched roof!

If its flat it should be torched on or you can use epdm, grp etc.

Many thanks for that Alastair.

I thought that rain water would eventually find its way through where the nails are.

With all the different types of felt for sale should I be looking for a certain type?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back