Shelf fitting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having some sliding wardrobe doors across one end of a large bedroom and am building some storage inside.

We are making use of old book cases and plastic storage boxes, so it doesn't need to look pretty.

We want to put in about 10 - 15 shelves inside and am looking for the cheapest, easiest and strongest way of doing it. The shelves will all be about 500mm wide and maybe 600mm deep. They will be potentially holding a fair bit of weight. Maybe a plastic box full of books or paperwork.

So, what do I use? Walls are brick.

I was thinking of just batons at the back and sides of each shelf. Will this be strong enough? What size baton and what material for the shelf itself?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Battens side and back should be fine, but the right material for the shelves themselves is important......MDF tends to bow, so consider ply (18mm minimum with an edge lipping) or blockboard.
For the battens, 20 to 25mm thick timber.
If its well secured, slotted 'Spur' type shelving can hold a lot of weight.
John :)

18mm mdf is perfect for job, will not sag at those dimensions.Use vertical sheet of mdf instead on batons, less work and simple to construct, you could add strips of mdf to allow plastic containers to be used as draws assuming they have a lip along two edges.Fitted drwas to mine.

Thanks both.

Foxhole - so two vertical sheets of mdf, then mdf across as shelves? How do you attach the shelves and how do you make the two vertical sheets stable? Sorry if I am being a bit slow on this one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

Foxhole - so two vertical sheets of mdf, then mdf across as shelves? How do you attach the shelves and how do you make the two vertical sheets stable? Sorry if I am being a bit slow on this one.
You can screw each shelf in position if you want them in a fixed position or fixing blocks allow ajustment, the rear of the verticals are secured to wall with brackets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back