Ship lap wrong way round?! HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My other half has been replacing and rebuilding the garage, he has used concrete blocks for the bottom half and ship lap for the top half of all the walls. Just found out he's put the ship lap the wrong way with the inside facing the outside. What effect will this have on the garage?

Sponsored Links
Probably make little difference structural-wise but the exterior of the cladding is designed to shed water (rain) whereas the inside is normally just a flat surface with a join line.

The whole lot will have been treated but you may get an issue with water being able to penetrate the gaps in the wood where it joins and this will eventually lead to the wood rotting.

IMHO anyhow.

B

Thank you for responding. Yes it has been treated and it is flat on the outside the way my partner has done it. Any idea how much it will reduce the lifespan of the wood with water getting in the gaps?

is it tongue and grove or just a rebate ?
tongue and grove will be ok rebate probably not
how is it fixed and hopefully only one fixing over the width off the plank ?

Sponsored Links
It is tongue and groove, he has done it so that the lip of the wood (the tongue) faces up and so if rain gets in the gap it can't go in and down to the inside of the garage but in and out. I could attach a photo if you need it.

He's used nails across the top and bottom of each piece of wood through the tongue and grooves.

If you live in Shetland with wild weather, I think I'd pull it all off and do it the right way round. If it's wrong now - it'll always be wrong.

you should only use one fixing at the bottom about 1" up
assuming its 5" what is the space between groves on the back it should be around 109mm ??

I'll try to upload some pictures tomorrow. Each piece of ship lap is about 8ft in length and 4" in width. He's nailed the top and bottom of each piece to attach it to the ship lap above and below. The nails are every 5" or so as you go along.

Why would he do this? You need to get shot of the twit and remove and replace the shiplap the right way round by someonwewho knows what (s)he's doing

None the wiser. Laying it out on a table is meaningless.

Post a close up image of the edges on that left hand corner.

needs to come off or be covered over as its not t&g its just overlapped

the way it is nailed means that all the boards will split when dry weather comes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back