Short circuit test

is that the best you have ?

Don't need anything more my friend. You are quite capable of making yourself look like a prize plank.
thumbup2.gif

err you're not my friend, you're another ignorant RGI

Sponsored Links
to have GONE short circuit would be a faulty relay

Semiconductor relays are basically optocouplers where a short circuit on the output would be a fault condition

so no qualms about using the term "short circuit" to discribe and understand the meaning of the phase in relation to "faulty" and "fault condition" yourself then?
so is this an "exclusive to PCB repairers" sort of thing? :LOL:
for example, if you measure the resistance of a piece of (normal) wire, you would expect to see a short circuit between the two ends. You would also say that there is continuity between the ends

The quoted example means what exactly?
I think we all know there is always going to be continuity actoss a a short circuit
or is this a thing that "only PCB repairers " must know?
in short, your point?
, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is a short circuit and, believe it or not, NOT a fault condition
unless of course you're a pcb repairer refering to semi-conductors or pcb tracks etc

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
matt1e";p="2311038 said:
to have GONE short circuit would be a faulty relay

Semiconductor relays are basically optocouplers where a short circuit on the output would be a fault condition

The quoted example means what exactly?
I think we all know there is always going to be continuity actoss a a short circuit
or is this a thing that "only PCB repairers " must know?
in short, your point?
My point ?

your'e a ******

next ... ?

My point ?

your'e a ****

next ... ?

there's a youngun at our place flies off on one when when things aren't going his way too
he's another that can give and not take :D
if you ever master the art of using the keyboard, then you can mis-spell words to get through the filter btw

Hi I need help on electrical testing boiler parts and was wondering if anyone would tell me how to test for a ' short circuit on an APS' using a multimeter??? And what readings to look for, this is the only test that I struggle with?

Any replies would be great thanks.

Remove mains from the appliance

Remove the connector at the pcb and measure at that connector. If you do this, you are measuring the loom AND APS i.e. what the pcb actually sees

If you can remove the other end of one of the neoprene pipes going to the APS, do so (you need to be able to suck or blow down it to operate the APS)

Get your multimeter and short the probes togetherto check the resistance of the probes

check the resistance (at the pcb connector) of the normally closed to common contacts should be in the order of an ohm or less

GENTLY suck or blow on the neoprene tube so that the membrane in the APS activates the APS microswitch

Kink the tube so that it maintains pressure (doing this will also test for a rupture inthe membrane) and after a couple of seconds measure the resistance (at the pcb) of the normally open to common contacts , again, ideally should be less than an ohm

That's it

Other than the changeover pressure, which is factory set, that's it tested

contacts on trhe microswitch are written on the side of the switch itself

n /c, n/o, com

Never ever blow or suck on the hose conections of a APS!!! This will greatly shorten the life of the APS & frankly there's never any reason you'd need to do this, just run the fan & test the terminals as detailed on this thread.

n /c, n/o, com

Actually, as used in an APS, the NO as marked on the switch is actually NC.

I am surprised no one noticed that!

The tubes are now all silicone rubber.

Short circuit and dry joint are all long standing terms used in electronics. Dry joint refers to where the solder has not 'wetted' the metal. Most of Geoff's repairs are to cracked joints.

Where is Chris R? He used to love these discussions with Geoff. They both used to be about the same weight! Chris still is but Geoff has not come for years in spite of numerous invites.

Tony

'Actually, as used in an APS, the NO as marked on the switch is actually NC'
Sorry, you've lost me there Tony. Most APSs have three terminals;

C = common
NC = normally closed
NO = normally open

NO normally becomes live(ON) when the switch is activated.

Raden - 1006 Posts - THANKS= 4 ! Let the figures speak for themselves :rolleyes:

I know what I am talking about I have been a M&E service engineer for 36odd years - I have tested more APS's and far more complex control circuits for Continuity and have had to trace and reapir many many Short Ciruits In our Industry and it is the view of EVERY ELECTRICIAN I have spoken to over the past few days that a SHORT CIRCUIT is used to describe a FAULT CONDITION CONTINUITY is a description of a CLOSED CIRCUIT (the opposite of OPEN CIRCUIT) -perhaps even YOU can see the relationship of OPEN & CLOSED circuits :evil:

n /c, n/o, com

Actually, as used in an APS, the NO as marked on the switch is actually NC.

I am surprised no one noticed that!

The tubes are now all silicone rubber.

Short circuit and dry joint are all long standing terms used in electronics. Dry joint refers to where the solder has not 'wetted' the metal. Most of Geoff's repairs are to cracked joints.

Where is Chris R? He used to love these discussions with Geoff. They both used to be about the same weight! Chris still is but Geoff has not come for years in spite of numerous invites.

Tony

I think that Chris and I are still level pegging according to our last phone conversation

We should be back in circulation once Yullie gets back from her sister's funeral

Raden - 1006 Posts - THANKS= 4 ! Let the figures speak for themselves :rolleyes:

I know what I am talking about I have been a M&E service engineer for 36odd years - I have tested more APS's and far more complex control circuits for Continuity and have had to trace and reapir many many Short Ciruits In our Industry and it is the view of EVERY ELECTRICIAN I have spoken to over the past few days that a SHORT CIRCUIT is used to describe a FAULT CONDITION CONTINUITY is a description of a CLOSED CIRCUIT (the opposite of OPEN CIRCUIT) -perhaps even YOU can see the relationship of OPEN & CLOSED circuits :evil:

1004 posts?

I don't believe it

You're still wrong, and I wouldn't let you anywhere near any piece of electrical apparatus. You were in the wrong queue when they were handing out common sense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back