should eaves trays be overlapped??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again

Should eaves trays be overlapped?

my builder is saying they should be butted up but i have found evidence supporting my theory that they need overlapping. Can you helpful people shed some light for me

Tar all

andy

Sponsored Links
Just fitted some to my extension and I overlapped by 100mm.

Best advice is to follow the manufacturers instructions.
I have seen instructions which say overlap and others say butt up.

As I see it, partly why they are used is to keep the underlay out of the gutter, so if they were butted then there is potential for water to drip through the edges.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
I overlap by a hand or half a span.
But my left-hand span is greater than my right-hand span, whereas my left-hand hand is less than my right-hand hand. ;) :confused:

I overlap by a hand or half a span.
But my left-hand span is greater than my right-hand span, whereas my left-hand hand is less than my right-hand hand. ;) :confused:
You`re a Jeremy Beadle ;)

:mrgreen: ha ha brilliant, Jeremy Beadle lol :LOL:

Thanks for clearing this issue up. I will tell the builder and the roofer they have installed hundreds of eaves trays incorrectly around the county which will please them no end

Sometimes overlapping the tray can kick a tile or lath up.

If so, I prefer to have the trays butted together , but with some thin DPC underneath the joint, and some suitable tape over it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back