Should I brick/board up the fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a terrace house and plastering the back downstairs room.

I have removed the horrid old 60's fire surround and there is a hole, 2ft by 4ft.

The questions is what to do with it.

We will be renting the room out as a bedroom for 6 mths, then selling the house.
The easiest solution is to board it up and plaster across, though was thinking, if it was a plastered hole, painted white with the now very typical large grey pebbles off the beach, it could be more appeal to a buyer, who may wish to turn the room into a dinning room etc.

Question is, how would I do this? how hard is it? Is it worth it?

(a weekend of DIY,football and Rugby ahead, what a manly weekend haha)

Sponsored Links
Do it with brick or plasterboard.With plasterboard,you would build a wooden frame with 3"x2"s and fix your plasterboard (12mm foil-backed) to it,set back a bit to allow for a coat of plaster.Also, cut back the original plaster around the old opening a good bit to let the new plaster feather in.Or you could build it with blocks,tied in of course.Either way,you would need to fix a small air-vent to the wall,a few inches above skirting board level to allow airflow.It is also better to have the chimney cleaned first.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back