should I extend 22mm pipe on CH flow & return or leave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if i should extend 22mm Flow & Return. I have a combi boiler where the 22mm goes upstairs then feeds through the bathroom on to the landing then before it goes to any rads its reduced to 15mm then tees off feeding one rad downstairs then tees again feeding 3 downstairs & 2 upstairs then a little further on it tees off 1 rad downstairs and again furthur on feeds the last bedroom rad upstairs.

All these Tees are within a 2-3m stretch before they branch off to the rads. Question is should i extend the 22mm and tee off straight from this (using 15mm to rads or just leave everything being teed from the original 15mm that was reduced from 22mm.

Sponsored Links
maybe to simplify what im trying to say is should Itry and run as many tees from 22mm as possible instead of tee everything from after it was reduced. Hopefully thats clearer

You shouldn't have too many radiators fed from one pair of 15mm pipes. It will make the system hard to balance, and noisy. I think it's roughly 5kw that is the maximum load for 15mm (opinions vary on the exact figure). You can get your radiator outputs by looking them up in the Stelrad Elite catalogue:

http://www.stelrad.com/uk/docs/elite_technical_info.pdf

I like to run all in 22mm with just one rad off 15mm, this is probably overkill though and isn't always practical.

How many rads are running off one 15mm branch currently? And what is the problem that leads you to suspect it should be altered?

Sponsored Links
15mm to the radiators, Theres onlly about four meters of 22mm which comes across the kitchin then up into landing area bends around the stairs then straight into a 15mm reducer which then goes around the house.

Are the tails at your radiator valves 15mm? I take it you have solid floors downstairs. You have a drop pipe system, I'm trying to find out if the dropped pipe-work is microbore teed from the 15mm.
Either way, I'd be tempted to pipe in 22mm on the landing.

15mm to the radiators, Theres onlly about four meters of 22mm which comes across the kitchin then up into landing area bends around the stairs then straight into a 15mm reducer which then goes around the house.

I take it you do mean a reducer (one pipe that reduces in size) and not a manifold (one big pipe into several small ones) ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back