Should I have cavity wall insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My significant other is very keen on Cavity Wall Insulation but is it a good idea?

JamesEB

Sponsored Links
According to government findings its a good & successful idea for the majority of houses that have had CWI installed under the government schemes.
You will have to do much research to come to your own conclusions.

The initial survey is the key to having any chance of a successful installation - there are many factors the surveyor should take into account. Perhaps research these factors as a checklist?
The installers have to be diligent and trained or experienced.
The material should be good quality polystyrene beads - but thats only my opinion FWIW.

I am struggling because I know nothing about.

It's proposed to be Rockwool EnergySaver Blown Fire-Safe Cavity Wall Insulation.

Thanks for help

JamesEB

Any blown CWI with wool in it has a very poor reputation. Its the most complained about material.

Sponsored Links
What are the complaints about please?

The surveyor said this is the very best and our work will be registered with CIGA but I don't know what that is.

JamesEB

Surveyors for these companies are sales people working on commission - they lie for a living.
CIGA is a joke - two liars in a spare bedroom (the office) in Slough or somewhere like it.
OP, please do your due diligence research.

I am trying but I am a 76 years old pensioner and it is not easy knowing where to start even.

What are the complaints about blown CWI with wool please?

Thanks for help
JamesEB

I have now not gone ahead with this arrangement.

If anyone would tell me what I should be doing it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Evening James
I had CWI installed courtesy of a scheme.....it cost me £150. It's the blown in wool type - I wasn't given any choice. The work was done by a firm called the Mark Group.
The work was well done...all the drilled holes were filled, and the air bricks checked to see if the need ducting or not - they didn't.
All I can say is that the house is warmer, and there is evidence of the wool getting where it should be.
My roof and soffits are in excellent condition, I wouldn't have considered it otherwise.
I'm unaware of the pros and cons of wool versus beads I'm afraid.....for sure, whatever material is in there it's there for keeps.
I would have it again....but naturally enough your loft insulation is more important as a first step.
John :)

There is a retired builder who likes to write scare stories for one of the newspapers, who writes all manner of claims about CWI, and would have you believe that vast numbers of houses are suffering problems with it. He seems to believe that CWI actually creates water.

I find his statistical analysis very unconvincing, and he seems to think that houses are intended to be ventilated though papered and plastered brick walls, rather than say, open windows. But it sells papers, eh?

I guess if your walls are porous - for one reason or another - CWI could allow water to pass irrespective if it was wool or beads.
My house is partly Northumbrian sandstone ( notorious for it's porosity) and partly pebbledash.
All pointing is sound, and the stone has been treated with a Waterseal type compound (can't remember the name but it was three times the price of Waterseal.)
So far so good! No evidence of damp anywhere - and there wasn't before.
John :)

You really should consider the purpose of the cavity before having it filled. If the cavity provides ventilation to e.g. the roofspace, then filling it with insulation will prevent it from providing this ventilation, therefore you would have to consider soffit vents or similar if your eaves allow it.

have you ever known a roofspace that was designed to be ventilated by a cavity wall?

Might not be designed that way but I'm sure you've seen enough rotten timbers in old houses to know that every little helps in keeping things dry! And frequently doesn't!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back