Should I worry about pipes freezing in conservatory??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, in the process of completing my conservatory, plastering dwarf walls, flooring etc and now come to hanging the radiators.

I intend to run the central heating pipes beneath the laminate in a cavity in the suspended concrete slab. The 15mm pipeswill be lagged within the cavity. I intend to put TRVs on both rads and encorporate isolation valves on the inside of the living room so I can isolate this run completely. I could look at zone valves etc etc but I'm doing this on a budget.!!!

What concerns me is the possibility of the pipes freezing come winter. Do most people leave rads on to prevent freezing, but waste money and gas in the process? Do people routinely isolate and drain down? Stupid question perhaps, but having just built my own conservatory I'm only too aware of what my potential heat losses will be. :cry: Should I at this stage be looking to encorporate a drain off cock right at the lowest point to get every drop of water out. Am I just clutching the purse strings too tightly?? Haha

Any feedback greatly appreciated, Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you can I would definitely incorporate a DOC into the system, makes life a lot easier.

You could always fit a frost stat into the conservatory if you are concerned about pipes freezing.Best to interlock this with a pipe stat, but obviously a pipe stat might ruin the aesthetics of your conservatory.

Graham

Thanks, not really given much consideration to pipe stats/ frost stats but they could save me a lot of time and hassle. I've got some research to do! Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you fit isolation valves, make sure they are good quality full-bore lever types. Lesser ones will restrict flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back