shower change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help please, i am thinking of replacing my shower which is 8kw and installing either a 9.5 or 10.5 kw shower - i have read somewhere that cable changes may be needed in some cases, shower is approx 7yrs old, i feel confident in changing the shower unit over if its like for like but if it comes to changing cables i would not be so confident

current shower is redring super extra want to change for new creda model

any help would be good

thanks

Sponsored Links
Its not like for like - the rating is changing. Therefore its notifiable to your local authority's building control and you much pay their fees for notifiable work.

And it depends what cable is currently installed.

You'll need at least 10mmsq cable for the new shower. You may already have this installed, although it could be 6mm. What size breaker is there at the moment? 40A? You'll need to up the breaker in that case. You also need to establish how the cable gets to the shower, as any insulation will lower the max rating of the cable and so will its length. Is the shower RCD protected?

cheers for that, i must confess im no sparky by any means, its an old fuse box we have so dont think it has a circuit breaker, im presuming that the cable will say on it how thick it is

would it be easier to change like for like eg 8.5kw for 8.5 kw or is it really an easy job to do what i want which is to change it to 10.5kw

Sponsored Links
its an old fuse box we have so dont think it has a circuit breaker

Quite likely that it won't handle anything over 30A, or 7kW. The existing shower could already be overloading the fusebox

im presuming that the cable will say on it how thick it is

Unfortunately, cables are not usually marked with the size.

Changing the existing one for an identical rating will be simpler - provided that the original one was installed correctly.

As well as a bigger cable, you will probably need to have an RCD installed.

Probably best to get a registered electrician (or two) in to look at what you are planning and to come up with some quotes. The electrician can look after the legal stuff too - there's regulations about a lot of what you have in mind.

Get a local person from www.competentperson.co.uk or by recommendation.

Then all you need to do is to swop your shower for one of the same rating.

No need to notify, but I would recommend the use of an RCD - the new one should say you need one.

cheers for the help, this RCD thing we do have a seperate box coming from fuse box with old style fuse is that what the rcd type thing is

Its not like for like - the rating is changing. Therefore its notifiable to your local authority's building control
Explain the "therefore".

Where does it say that a replacement has to be "like for like"?

If new cabling is involved then of course it becomes notifiable, but there is nothing in the regulations about replacements having to be "like for like" - you won't find that term, or any variation of it, anywhere.

cheers for the help, this RCD thing we do have a seperate box coming from fuse box with old style fuse is that what the rcd type thing is

No, an RCD unit will have 'RCD', 'RCCB', 'ELCB' or 'RCBO' written on it. Usually with the the rating 30mA. It comprises a trip switch and a test button.

Like these

Not sure what you mean by old style fuse.. Could be your supply fuse - could be a seperate fuse for the shower. get a sparky in for a quote and he/she'll tell you pretty much straight away whether you can upgrade your shower and whether you have an RCD. If you have nothing with a test button on it then you haven't got one, and you should have one.

no havnt got one of those

i have opted to stay with 8.5kw shower as dont want to tamper with wiring dont feel happy doing that

the fuse box i have is the old style with copper wire i think their copper, i do want to change to trip switches soon and will have the lot changed but so far cheapest i have been quoted is £350 and aint paying that

thanks for all your help - its been very useful

no havnt got one of those
So what do you plan to do if the installation instructions say it should be on an RCD?

Are you aware of the fact that even if the work is not notifiable the law still requires you to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury?

It's hard to see how ignoring a safety precaution specified by the manufacturer would qualify as making reasonable provision to protect people from injury...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back