Shower constantly overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.

I have a Bristan B85 shower which trips out thermally every couple of minutes. Water flow seems good, not slow or intermittent, and the water temperature is not getting unusually hot before it trips. Once it has tripped it runs cold for a few seconds and then re-sets itself and warms up again...

Do I just need to change the thermal cutout switch or could this be caused by something else?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Sponsored Links
my money would be as you said. not familiar with that model but you may be able to test the stat with a multimeter

B85 is just a newteam shower.
Do the reduce temp or low pressure neons light when this happens ?

You got a flow issue.

Thanks for the replies. I get a "Reduce temperature" light but the "Low pressure" light does not come on.

I wasn't sure about getting a meter on to the thermal switch because I assumed it wouldn't be safe to run the shower with the cover off. I guess I can give that a go carefully.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I get a "Reduce temperature" light but the "Low pressure" light does not come on.

That just tells me it's a tco issue not a pressure switch issue.

I wasn't sure about getting a meter on to the thermal switch because I assumed it wouldn't be safe to run the shower with the cover off. I guess I can give that a go carefully.

That's not how you test a tco.
Tco is tested with mains power off and you test them for continuity only.

Your tco is ok because the shower heats it's just cycling on the 1st stage of the tco, if it hits the 2nd stage it totally fails.

Run the shower with the head off, Then what do you get ?

It does still cut out with the head off but it takes longer to get to that point. Thanks for the clarification on testing the TCO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back