shower electric cable installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wiring electric 10mm cable from shower unit to consumer unit, I have managed to find a pretty good route without lifting any floor boards but the problem I have is that the electric cable would be about 2 inches away from a hot water pipe that goes into the boiler would this be okay and how far should i be to be safe? one more question would it be okay to run the cable through the boiler room? Also is it madatory to have the electric cable running from behind the wall or can I use a condiut or chase it

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be running a cable for a shower, END OF

Get someone in to do it properly rather than risking frying yourself :rolleyes:

wonderb0y said:
You shouldn't be running a cable for a shower, END OF

Get someone in to do it properly rather than risking frying yourself :rolleyes:

No reason why he shouldn't as long as he does it properly and has it passed by a qualified electrician and Building control.

He's posting in the wrong forum but he seems to be trying to find out how to do it properly.

Zidane, speak to an electrician and building control.

thank you mate I have had people call me stupid and other stuff, but all I'm trying to do is find the most safest way to install a shower without causing any harm to anyone who uses the shower.

People should offer advice like you did and not critisize, I feel its better to show someone how to do it than to critisize them and not tell them at all how to do it and let them carry on making a mistakes. But point taken I will try electrician forum Im new to this apologies

Sponsored Links
5mm away from pipe is perfect, where one is above the other put cable below pipe.

You cannot chase it into wall except in a safe zone. In your case from information provided that is within 150mm of the side wall adjacent to the wall you want to run your chase inside.

Well done for using 10mm and for asking us.

Running it inside a warm area is not ideal, chasing it on the other side of the wall within 150mm of the corner would be better from the point of view of heat loss. If you do decide to run it inside the hot area, clip it to wood the cable sheds heat into the wood quite effectively. Whatever you do don't let it go for any part of it's journey surrounded by insulation. If it has to traverse a loft, run a plank above the insulation and clip it to the plank.

To actually do the work itself in the room with the shower you do have to be qualified aswell as a member of a certifying body. You can't do the work and get it checked, you have to hand the job over.

I would have no objection to you first fixing the cable as long as I could inspect it throughout it's length and you run it as I design, but I wouldn't be able to sign off your work in the shower room, I would have to actually do that work to comply with approved document P..

Don't shoot me, I didn't make the rules, but as a full scope member of a certifying body I must observe them or it makes a nonsense of the £3,000 of training equipment and membership fees I have had to endure in the interest of your wellbeing.

By all means ask on the electrical forum but you will be dealt with swiftly and pugnatiously.

Bear in mind that should bathroom bonding be appropriate in your case it has to be caged to the shower.

Paul Barker said:
To actually do the work itself in the room with the shower you do have to be qualified aswell as a member of a certifying body. You can't do the work and get it checked, you have to hand the job over.

Indeed, and into the consumer unit also. I was refering to the routing part of it. As long, of course, that the cable is visible for inspection as required and the route is confirmed as satisfactory by a QE.

By all means ask on the electrical forum but you will be dealt with swiftly and pugnatiously.

:LOL: Didn't think of that!! Better stay on here then ;)

Paul Barker said:
Breesey said:
Indeed, and into the consumer unit also. I was refering to the routing part of it. As long, of course, that the cable is visible for inspection as required and the route is confirmed as satisfactory by a QE.

That is not true. Anyone can do notifiable work, but they must notify their BCO first and pay the relevant fee. Also, work within the consumer unit doesn't automatically become notifiable e.g main bonding and replacing damaged cables is not notifiable work.

I don't know where people get these ideas from, but it would explain why so many annoyed DIY'ers come over to the electrics forum whining because they've been wrongly informed about their right to do notifiable work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back